Review by Narcissus

"Finally the "sequel" to the SNES hit super tennis is here. But was it worth the wait?"

Let me start by saying that I loved the SNES classic, super tennis. And Mario tennis improves on it in every way.
But I must say that as a one player game, you may be dissapointed in the long run. For starters, to me anyway, one of the neat things about sports games is the feeling of true competition. You wont find that however in Mario tennis. For starters, if you loose in a tourny, the game ends. You cant see who would have advanced (CPU) unless you advance as well. Not very realistic to say the least.

Then there is the watch mode (watch the comp vs the comp). Then I thought, ''Ok, this way maybe I could at least set up my own tournaments and sim the matches myself''. No can do. The watch mode ALWAYS has one character dominate the match. So there goes that angle as well....

GRAPHICS: 9/10 Usually I dont go for cartoony graphics. But the graphics on MT are so good, clear, colorful, and well done that I must make an exception. Although the replays more often than not show the action from a bad angle.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10 Each character has there own strengths and weaknesses, playing style, and attitude. The controls couldnt be better.

MUSIC: 5/10 The music is more of a distraction than anything. I suggest turning it off.

REPLAY VALUE: 8/10 After you uncover all the extra courts and modes through one player mode, you will be playing multiplayer soon after. If you cant play mulitiplayer, the replay value would then be 6/10. A very fun game. But ONLY if you have a friend to play against. Otherwise you may grow weary of the limited one player mode.

OVERALL: 7/10 Very fun game. I highly suggest it if you have alot of friends around to challenge you. Otherwise, I suggest rentingit first to see if you think the one player is good enough for the $50+ bucks you'd be shelling out. But overall I must say Nintendo (along with camelot, makers of hot shots golf and Mario golf) have served up another winner.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/10/00, Updated 09/10/00