Review by BAdB0i87

"It's me, Mario! Playing tennis!"

After playing the other great Mario games like Mario Kart and Mario Golf, I knew I had to play this game. I was at Wal-Mart one day and the Nintendo 64 demo happened to be Mario Tennis.

Who would have known that a tennis game could be so fun and addictive? Mario Tennis has five different types of matches for you to play. Exhibition, Tournament, Ring Shot, Bowser Stage, and Piranha Challenge. The game has a total of 14 playable characters including favorites like Mario, Luigi, and Bowser. There are two hidden characters you can unlock by playing Tournament mode and an additional two you can unlock if you have the Gameboy Color version and the N64 transfer pack. The game is playable with a total of four human controllers in Exhibition, Ring Shot, and Bowser Stage.

In Tournament mode, you can either go in Singles or Doubles competition. There are a total of three cups you can win. When you win the final cup, you will unlock one secret character and then the player you used will get a little star that is sort of like a powerup. The main problem with Tournament mode is that you can't play with a friend in the Doubles competition.

Ring Shot is a type of match where you hit the ball through these golden rings that appear above the court. The number of rings you clear will be added at the end of the match. Whoever has the most rings at the end will win. This is 1-4 players.

Bowser Stage is one of the funnest modes. You know those item boxes in Mario Kart? Well they make a special appearance in this mode. The Item Boxes will be spread throughout the court and when you hit the ball through the box, you will get an item that you can use by pressing ''R''. The items you can use are the Red Shell, Green Shell, Mushroom, Banana, Lightning, and Star.

Piranha Challenge is a one player game where your goal is to return all fifty balls that a Piranha plant shoots at you. It sounds pretty easy, but it is actually quite tough. To make things harder, there is a computer opponent that will try to block your hits.

There are four main courts that you can use. Hard Court, Grass Court, Clay Court, and Composite Court. Each type of court will affect the ball speed and the bounce of the ball. There are also several secret tennis courts that you can unlock.

Control: 9/10

The controls for the game is absolutely simple. It may seem tough at first, but you will get the hang of it after a while. Pressing the buttons in a certain order will allow you to do drop shots, lobs, and spikes.

The music is alright, I guess it matches the atmosphere and environment. The sound effects are great and the character voices are good also.

The graphics are smooth for a N64 game. The colors are bright and matches nice. I have not seen any glitches in the game yet.

Fun Factor: 9/10

The game is absolutely fun and addictive. But the game will get old and you may want to take a break from it after a while.

Challenge: 10/10

There are four different difficulty levels and you can choose them for each player. I recommend playing on ''Hard'' because ''Intense'' is crazy and the other two are just plain too easy. The little stars that you get from winning a tournament will also give the characters a boost.

Multiplayer: 10/10

This is probably one of the best multiplayer games for the N64 EVER. My friends and I can play this for hours and the game is at it's best with four human players.

This is definitely a great party game and I would recommend buying it. It should be cheap now.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/07/03, Updated 02/07/03