Review by FrozenFusion

"Mario Party 3…the last game of it’s series…"

Mario Party 3 is, of course, the third and last game of it’s series. In my opinion, it’s not as good as it’s past prequels…why? Read on…

Story: The game begins w/ your character and three other computer characters standing in front the infamous castle. A star comes shooting down and the four characters argue over who gets to keep the star. Then the characters decide to play some mini-games to determine who gets the star. Then the characters get sucked into a toy box…and are now…part of a game. And then a big, silver star (I don’t know the name of the star; check out MarioParty3.com or GameFAQ’s FAQs) tells them about the story of the star and the game begins.

Graphics: 8.5/10

The graphics are very nice…when you’re selecting your map, the graphics are like Paper Mario’s…and during gameplay, the graphics are the same as it’s prequels…the graphics are great. The only bad part about the graphics is when you’re choosing your character in the Story mode. The graphics of the character you choose are…blocky…and…sorta deformed. But besides that, overall, the graphics are great.

The sound is pretty good…there’s even an option where you can listen to in-game music and the character’s voices…ex.: Wario says, “I’ma the best!” (something likes that). There isn’t much to say about the music, but overall, it’s pretty good.

The controls are very simple and easy to learn. The controls differ for mini-games, but you do always use the control stick to move. In the Story and multiplayer modes, you press A to spin a dice, B for Items*…and that’s pretty much it. You can also view a map of the map you’re playing on. The game consists of many mini-games (it is a party game) and new characters…well, some are old, but…Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi. You have to unlock some things, like mini-games for a mini-game room, where you can just play mini-games. This time, you have a Story mode where you try to win…

*There are many items in this game, such as the Bowser phone…you call Bowser and he asks who it is, and you get to choose whoever it is that called him (like a prank phone call, but you say you’re another character that you want to meet Bowser), and the character will have to play one of Bowser’s mini-games…one mini-game involves you giving Bowser 15 coins…that’s it. You also get to choose an option (when calling;
besides the characters) saying, “Who do you think this is?”…Bowser says he’s tired of the prank phone calls and he says that he’ll be right there…and he visits a random character.

Of course, that’s just one of the items, so if you want to see them all, check out GameFAQ’s FAQs or just play the game.

Overall, the gameplay’s pretty good.

Overall: 7.8/10 (I didn’t round this off to an 8 cause I think it deserves a 7)
Overall, this game is okay at first, but it’ll get boring after a while. It’s fun w/ friends, but by yourself…the game’s boring. In my opinion, this game is worse than it’s prequels…it’s more complex and has many new additions. It’s sorta complicated and the games go on forever. I prefer Mario Party (I never got a chance to play Mario Party 2) over Mario Party 3…it’s easier and more fun…mainly cause it’s not that complex. But the mini-games in Mario Party 3 are better than it’s past prequel’s mini-games (once again, in my opinion). I just wish that some of the past mini-games from Mario Party and Mario Party 2 (which I’ve never played, but I heard it was good) were in Mario Party 3. Some of them might be in Mario Party 3, but I didn’t want to waste my time unlocking the game’s secrets by myself. The story mode is one-player, but it’s incredibly boring.

Replay Value: 5/10

This game is boring by yourself, but fun w/ friends…it’s also one of the last N64 games…so I guess it’s worth a rental. I prefer Mario Party, but if you want to get the newest version of the series, be my guest. It’s only $49.99 (which I find sorta expensive)…and it’s better to rent the game than to purchase the game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/28/01, Updated 07/16/01