Review by Glutted

"Mario's version of Tetris"

The first Dr. Mario game was a NES game. You had to clear the stage from viruses by throwing pills on them. Dr. Mario 64 is exactly the same. This game can be very fun on multiplayer too.

Storyline: N/A

Nothing special. The viruses on the stage do move and make faces. The character models look 3-D and have detail.

Sound/Music: 9/10

The only sound effect that is used is the sound of Mario throwing down the pill; the viruses don't even really make sounds. The music is great. You get to select the music that plays. Some tracks are fast, others are slow. All the music is great for a Tetris style puzzle game.

Before I state my opinions about the gameplay, I will first be factual and technical. You are Mario, wearing a white doctor's coat. And you are at the top of the stage, throwing down pills to kill viruses that are half as tall as you!

To kill the viruses, you have to throw down a pill that matches their color. Luckily, the viruses won't reproduce or multiply in the middle of the game; that makes it easier for you. If you completely clear the stage of viruses, then you get to advance to the next stage. The stages get harder and harder, with more and more viruses to kill. You can also set the speed in which the viruses fall to the ground; giving you more time to think.

Dr. Mario 64 has the same concept as Tetris. This game is rewarding and challenging at the same time. It can be especially fun in multiplayer mode. It is a nice alternative to all the other Mario games where you run around and jump on and punch enemies, and it definitely requires more thinking. The bad thing is that there is nothing to unlock, and no replay value. This game mainly is about focusing and solving puzzles, but the graphics are good to. At this point, you can probably buy it for a very cheap price. I recommend it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/20/06, Updated 06/19/06