Review by AlucardX

"It's Tony Hawk 2...with a skewered soundtrack"

Well 64 fans, your wish has finally arrived. Tony Hawk 2 is now out for the 64. Since I already got it on launch day for my PSX, I couldn't really care about this too much. However, my friend got it, since all he has is a 64. So, we played, and overall, the port is solid, like any good port should be.

However, the soundtrack featured in THPS 2 on both the PSX and the DC has been completely skewered. As opposed to the 15 tracks on the PSX and DC, there's only six tracks on the 64. The Bad Religion track, the Lagwagon track, the Swingin' Utters track, all gone. There's only six tracks now. Public Enemy & Anthrax, RATM, Dub Pistols, Naughty by Nature, and two more I can't remember right now. Also, all the verses in each of the songs have been cut out. It's only the repeated choruses. This is a major pain in the butt, especially since all of my favorite tracks were missing. However, this isn't a big problem, but still, it's a damn annoying one.

I'm sure everyone who has a 64 has played THPS on it. As you know, you used the C buttons to take control. Now, in THPS 2, you can also use the A and B buttons. The A button accelerates, while the B button does air tricks when you get air. Still, you must still use C up to grind and C left to do flip tricks. The addition of the A and B buttons here are great, this makes the control easier and makes the overall game easier and more enjoyable to play. You can also still use either the D pad or Joystick to move around.

The graphics are a bit smoother here then on the PSX version, but still can't touch the DC version.

The sound effects have also been juiced up too. They are now cleaner, and easier to hear.

All the levels remain intact from Hangar to Bullring, even the 2 secret levels are there.

With that out of the way, it's Tony Hawk 2. Tony Hawk 2 is one of the best skateboarding games around, and is great fun. However, still, it's Tony Hawk 2, there's nothing new. If you only have a 64 and haven't been able to get this game yet, do so immediately. However, if you have a PSX or DC, get it for either of those systems, only because the full soundtrack remains intact.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/27/01, Updated 08/27/01