Review by BMG007

"Impressive...."

Welcome to my review! I first would like to say that I have never played the first Tony Hawk, and basically, have only played a handful of skateboard games ever. They usually stunk. However, this game is by far one of the best made for the N64.

A skateboard game you say? Come on, get outta here! I have to say, I was the same way. But just playing it for about 30 minutes, you realize how awesome the game could really be.

There are several options to choose from in this game, via 1 player or 2 player. Most of the time you will probably be in career mode or 2 player mode. Career mode is the main part of the game. You travel to different places around the world as a variety of skaters or, if you prefer, a created skater. You then must pass a series of objectives in the level and collect money along the way to open up the next level. It's here where the game obviously shines. Now, my skateboarding knowledge is very, very minimal. But after 3 days of playing this game, I was raving to my brothers about the sweet tricks I was doing. A little skateboard lingo!

The tricks and the points system is one of the better systems I've seen. They work in a variety of manners, such as grabs, flips, grinds, special points, etc. If you combine 2 or more tricks, it works like a multiplier, adding up to large numbers of points by doing this. You can also buy new tricks, stats, and boards, which will help you in the long run.

Two player mode is great as well. They have a series of interesting games that you can play, such as horse and tag. It makes it a lot better than just doing tricks together. The only beef I have is that you can't race different racers. They will only let you race the same skateboarder. It's a major fault, as you can't skateboard with your best player against your friend's.

As far as the music goes, a little short on the list, but makes up for it in quality. Some big names such as Naughty by Nature, Rage against the Machine, and Powerman 5000. This is good and bad. They play great songs, but unfortunately they get old because of the small variety. But the music section is by far better than any crappy soundtrack that some video game programmers could make.

In conclusion, I was shocked and surprised at how fun this game was. They made the game incredibly addicting and while it is VERY difficult at first, it slowly gets easier and more fun. The replayability factor is huge, as there are plenty of secrets to unlock and always more objectives to complete. It's great for any age and is a must have if you can't afford the new gaming systems! ;)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/30/02, Updated 01/30/02