Review by deathpunk

"If the music didn't suck, this game would be one of the best ever."

Isn't it weird how a game can be extremely fun, extremely good-looking, and have an amazing multiplayer mode, but have one element missing? If that one element had been added to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the Nintendo 64, I would have given it a ten out of ten. But because that simple element has no place in the game, the average score simply cannot be as high. The element I’m talking about, of course, is the music.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 was a brilliant game. But it had one problem: it didn't have much of a soundtrack. The songs they included were good enough, but it still felt like there was something missing. Now, in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, they still haven't fixed that problem. And in Tony Hawk 3, they STILL didn't fix the problem. That game only had a miniscule soundtrack too. Otherwise, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is quite possibly the best sports game for the N64.

GRAPHICS: 9/10
The graphics rock. They are detailed and colorful, making it feel like you are a pro skater, pulling flip tricks in an abandoned warehouse. The levels are all big and have a lot of things to trick off of, be it park benches or taxi cabs. The Park Creator mode is a good addition to the game, allowing players to make their own skateparks, which look as good as the ones that come with the game. Also, the skaters themselves look fantastic, resembling the people they are based on very accurately.

SOUND:
I really don't think it's fair to put sound effects and music together on this one, simply because one is way, way better than the other.
MUSIC: 3/10
While the songs Activision picked for the game aren't bad, they are completely butchered, and sound terrible. For example, Rage Against The Machine's Guerilla Radio is a great song... but when all you get to hear is the chorus and a fifteen second-clip of the verse repeated over and over again, it gets very annoying. All of the songs are like this. None are in their original form, all are edited to remove profanities. Here's a much better idea: either pick songs without swears, or else suck it up and give the game a T rating instead of an E. It's not really going to affect who plays the game and who doesn't.
SOUND EFFECTS: 9/10
The sound effects sound great, effectively displaying the sounds of skateboarding. When you grind on a rail, it produces a different noise then when you grind on a wooden planter. When you fall while doing a trick, the skater mumbles ''Ooof!'' and falls down onto the ground. The only complaint I have is that all of the noises of flip tricks are the same. In real life, there is no swooshing noise when a skater does a kickflip. And on tricks that do make a noise, it's always different.

FUN: 10/10
It's so easy to waste an afternoon away playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. There is simply so much to do. You could try to beat the game on Career Mode, attempt to get all of the gaps in the game, or get a friend to play Graffiti or Horse with you. There are no ends to what can be achieved. Even when you beat the game completely with all skaters, a new level opens up so you can STILL have something new to do. I have owned the game for about 2 years now, and I haven't beaten the whole thing yet.

MULTIPLAYER: 10/10
Brilliant. The multiplayer mode is as good as the single player. Only two people can play, but it still provides hours of entertainment. There are 5 modes, 10 default single-player levels, and over 20 other levels. Think about how many games that is.

OVERALL: 8/10
I hate giving it only an 8. I hate it. But that's what it deserves, unfortunately. If the soundtrack was the same as the Playstation version, this game would get a solid ten.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/03