Review by FFreak21

"I've never had more fun on one machine"

People say the N64 sucks. The cartridge format was a huge mistake. You couldn't make a good game with that limited space. Well, this is what I have to say for the naysayers.
Mario 64 - Many claimed this to be the best game of all time when it came out. And when it came out it was.
Goldeneye - AIAS Game of the Year.
Zelda 64 - AIAS Game of the Year.

The N64 put out some great games. The Playstation did this also. But the N64 went somewhere the Playstation didn't go. The N64's games were just fun. I had fun playing the ''kiddie'' N64 games. I didn't have nearly as much fun on the Playstation.

To CD, or not to CD?
Nintendo decided to stick with the more expensive and smaller cartridges. Therefore, the N64 wasn't really able to use FMV to advance the storyline. There you go. That in a nutshell is what makes CD's so much better. Sure, carts cost a little more but so what? That's not a reason why they aren't as good. That's a reason why you have fewer games. The carts provided faster load times which was a great advantage. They were more reliable. I have yet to have a car not work in my N64. My Playstation, on the other hand has flawed several times and at least 2 of my games that are in great condition don't work. In my opinion, carts are better and I will be upset on the day that they are completely gone.

It takes two to tango.
Multiplayer games used to be an extra. You didn't need multiplayer capabilities to sell a game. Now games are made solely on multiplayer. I believe this is due partially to the N64. Four-player games were almost non-existant until the N64 came out with its four controller ports. And like that, four-player games became popular. The only extras you needed to buy were the controllers. No multitap this time. And several games supported four people. This game is the console multi-player gamer's dream. Buying the N64 with Goldeneye just for multi-player ensures at least a full year of fun. I, myself, had fun with it for two years.

Yeah, I know I compared the N64 to the Playstation in this review but those are the only systems I own so it's the best I could do. I do know one thing though. If I had to get rid of one of them, the grey one would go first. Not because it has bad games, not because it's too expensive, but because it just didn't provide me as much fun.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/13/00, Updated 08/13/00