Review by GL

"I slammed the PSX version... but this is actually better."

Now I may have slammed the PSX version but I believe that The King of Fighters '98 is a good solid game for the arcade. With over 20 characters to choose from (not including the secret characters), you can learn to master all of them or just play with the cool looking people. And with Advanced mode or Extra mode to choose from, there's even more variety.

Graphics wise, King of Fighters doesn't reach the greatness of Marvel vs. Capcom but this thing is OLD the MVS system is as old as the CPS-1 board so I didn't expect too much. The backgrounds and characters are a step above their olders counterparts, which is always a good thing.

Sound is always a short topic in my reviews so I'll just say that Esaka rocks. That and uh... everybody's yells are done is crisp clear Japanese.

Control is easy and simple, unfortunatly my arcade isn't using a TRUE Neo-Geo machine, but a board set up in some old Street Fighter machine so the 6-button layout is there but the last two kick buttons are missing. Ugh, makes charging up in Extra mode easier I suppose, but those CD charges are harder to do now.

Gameplay is as it always is, easy and plain. The only fun I can really get out of these KoF games are challengers, but only those good challengers. Ah, Chinatown. ^_^ Like I stated earlier, replay value on this game is high with the large amount of characters on the roster. From the flame wielding main character Kyo to the wrestling Blue Mary, fighting styles are usually different so its all good. And with King of Fighters '98 comes the classic tradition, the super cheap-o final boss. This time its our friend Rugal, but in Omega form. At least he is less cheap than Orochi in King of Fighters '97 but still, with a fireball the size of you, he's one tough cookie.

King of Fighters '98 is a good game that still shows that SNK still has the stuff. But the true test is King of Fighters '99, can the board older than time itself crank out another truly great game?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99