Review by PSOCecil

"SNK's getting there..."

Metal Slug X. Basicly Metal Slug 2, but with a few lil extras here and there. Like a few new guns, changed levels, and changed enemy placement. Quite cool.

Everything is EXTREMELY detailed, even more so then the first Metal Slug. The characters don't run like their back is broken anymore. Which is nice. This is the Metal Slug that also started to take a bit of a comical approach to things, with funny new animations for the characters. The bosses are all very impressive, and they are all amazing works of art from SNK.

Sound/Music: 9/10

I'll cover the sound effects first. Ok... they are great. From the enemy troops yells of pain, to the announcer, who announces your guns. Everything is very crisp, and cool sounding. The music is one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long time. Almost every song is absolutely awesome. Especially the last boss theme. I really have to applaud SNK/Nazca for the music in Metal Slug 2/X, even though they reused a few songs from Metal Slug 1, they still are catchy, and very nice.

Controls: 8/10

Not much that I can say here. Exactly the same as Metal Slug 1, no new buttons, no new moves, just the same run and jump and shoot and grenade action. You still have to press down and jump to do a suicide run in your Metal Slug. Which angers me... Why can't it just be D, the Neo Geo has four buttons for a reason.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

Amazingly fun. It's like a faster Contra. It has 6 levels, each with a boss. The bosses are mostly fun and challanging. Each has a special technique you need to kill it. And the last boss is extremely awesome. Much more impressive then MS1's last boss. But, frankly, you couldn't do much worse then that... heh.

Overall: 9/10 (not an average)

Overall, Metal Slug X is perhaps one of the best run and gun action games ever, if not one of the best ACTION games ever. It's the same fun as MS1, but more so, with longer levels, and better bosses. Once again, a masterpiece from SNK. If only they always pumped out games like this...

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/20/04