Review by DiasMagnus

"A REVISED verison of my Fatal Fury review (I learned a few interesting things)."

Having played The King of Fighters '94 to live the classic, I went even farther back to relive a game I have not played since childhood: Fatal Fury. Surely the names Terry and Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi, Billy Kane, and Geese Howard come to your mind. SNK's first fighting game was poorly timed. What I hear is that Street Fighter II and Fatal Fury were being made around the same time. However, SFII made it first. If only Fatal Fury made it, then SFII would have only been a ''me too'' . However, I still did not enjoy FF that much. While it has its good points, it is not really worth your time.

Believe it or not, Fatal Fury was the first true King of Fighters game. While Fatal Fury 2 and The King of Fighters '94 started the global craze of the tournament, Fatal Fury takes it to the streets of South Town. Terry, his brother Andy, and his friend Joe set out to compete in the tournament, each having their own goals. The story is nothing worth your attention; it's just a way for you to get to know the fighters.

The visuals of this game are not very impressive. They sprites are large and do not have many animations. They are too lighted up for me. The backgrounds are nice because of their changes each round. The sound effects are standard, but I have a problem with the voice quality. Just like in later SNK games (mostly ports), it echos as if it were recorded in a hall.

The controls are the worst I've ever used (besides the original Street Fighter). There are three operations: A is punch, B is kick, and C is throw. The moves are very hard to pull off; even veterans will have their nitpicks. The enemy can jump into the background, but there seems to be no way to do it yourself.

There are only three (yes, THREE) playable characters (and they are basically the same). Basically, you fight several characters, go through three bonus rounds (in which you mash A to ''arm wrestle'' an enemy), fight a ridiculously hard wrestler(Raiden), an insanely difficult punk (the famous Bo-wielding Billy Kane), and finally (dum dum DUM!) the original King of Cheese...Geese Howard! Even though he is cheesy along with Raiden and Kane, I discovered a simple pattern after losing a couple of times! The moves are not only hard to do, but they are cheap as well. This game is hard, but there are ways for scrubs to finish this game quickly.

Replay value? HAHAHAHAHA!! Sentimental value? Maybe. I will NOT by any means replay this game. It was fairly fun while it lasted, and I did enjoy the two-on-one mode (two humans on one enemy).

Looking for a Fatal Fury game to enjoy? Play Fatal Fury Special (best of the original series), Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (what I call the Street Fighter Alpha of the series), and Garou: Mark of the Wolves (never played it but supposedly the best fighting game). Sure, SNK evolved Fatal Fury into these games, but please ignore this one. Start your Fatal Fury experience with Fatal Fury 2!

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/13/01, Updated 07/01/01