Review by jp0922

"Submarine Manifesto"

Okay, I know you all think this game is easy, but let me tell you, when I was a kid, I could never figure out the right time to strobe and stab Jaws in the ending scene. I cried tears of joy when my friend showed me how to do it, and I finally did it myself. I then beat the game over and over for the next two weeks!

Story 8/10
Some may think the story’s stupid. But hey, they made a movie out of it! It's basically Jaws 4, where you have to kill the third generation Jaws (Jaws 3 was an unrelated Sea World flop). Ram the mast of your boat into the shark's flesh!

Gameplay 8/10
The controls are pretty good, and that submarine is sooo sweet! I hate when you’re doing really well with the sub, and then you “hit something” in shallow water. They’re out to get me, I swear! Here come the heat-seeking Jellyfish! Look out!

Graphics 6/10
I’d give it a 7/10 because they’re not bad for 8-bit, but there are some proportion issues I’d like to bring up. During combat scenes, you’ll find that your scuba guy’s as big as the boat! And he’s bigger than the sub! Is the sub a remote controlled machine! And in the bonus scene, your plane’s only a little bigger than the jellyfish! Giant jellyfish! Another remote controlled machine? The idea of dropping bombs on jellyfish from a plane is ridiculous. These giant jellyfish are as big as a man, and some release conch shells that are, of course, as big as the man. So are the speed crabs! Terrifying!

Sound 6/10
Not bad, but there are so many other NES games with better sound than this one. What happened with SNES games being so bad in terms of music? I’d like to think that the brilliant NES sound and music engineers went crazy from the work demand, and are now in insane asylums in straight jackets.

Replayability 9/10
This game is a classic. I think being able to beat it quickly guarantees that people will play it again. Or maybe it’s my crippling ADD that keeps me from playing RPGs, and leaves me to play these kinds of video games. Whatever it is, look in my console, and you’ll see it in there.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/26/01, Updated 05/26/01