Review by Valke

"Not that great a game,yet somehow addicting"

Hello boys and girls,welcome to the first installment of Valke's Game Review. I remember my best friend when I was younger introduced me to Jaws, a game that we beat in under an hour. Looking back on the game now, it wasn't even that great, but somehow, kept me playing. It just had something about it that...well,I'll see if I can explain.

Graphics:4/10

Alright,so by today's standards the graphics look like something a 5 year old drew. But in the case of this NES classic,you have to keep in mind that this game was made in 1987,so by those standards...yea I guess they weren't even that good for back then. I guess average is a fair enough score for this game, because as always, graphics aren't the main reason why people play games.

Sound:7/10

I don't know why, but the music on this game is quite catchy to me. I found myself with the tune in my head for quite a while after the last time I played the game.For such an early system,they were able to compose some decent music to go with the calm sailing on the ocean. Then some mean sounding stuff for when jaws came near.

Game play:4/10

Ok,just because I said this game is addicting doesn't mean that I thought the game play was that good. I know its meant to be a simple game, but this game was a little bland. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my love for RPGs, but everything was just too simple and easy for me. Move the boat around,shoot some jellyfish, avoid Jaws, just doesn't do much for the rational part of my brain.

Replayablity:6/10

And there's the irrational part of my brain that will always think about going back to this game when I'm bored. Something about shooting stuff gets out tension...although I'd usually rather do it in a better game, but....what are you going to do. I mean hey, if I could see this game 16 years since its release and still want to play it,just for old time's sake, I guess that deserves a decent replay rating.

Overall:5/10

This game will always hold a special place in my heart as being one of the first games I ever played, but I think that is one of the main reasons I gave it even the score that I did. If you're really bored,play this game,it will take up about an hour of your time then you can move on to something else. Until next time boys and girls,this has been Valke's Game Review

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/23/03, Updated 02/23/03