Review by The Ass Punch

"An incredibly under-rated game."

First of all, I must say...I do not understand why so many people give this game so much heat, but I guess that's just them. Anyhoo, this game is a great little NES game and I have enjoyed many many hours of gameplay out of this.

These are NES graphics. But for NES graphics, they aren't the worst in the world. The fish are easy to tell apart, and the little diver man's spikey blond hair -do is incredibly stylish. However, the graphics are far from perfect, they could have spent a little more time on these.

The opening theme isn't bad, and most of the in-game music is great. I really like the little jingle that plays when you re-start after dying, and the game over jingle is great. The music that you will be listening to for most of the game is the underwater theme, which is almost hypnotic. The bonus level music is incredibly catchy, even after all of these years!

You sail your boat around a small world map back-and-forth between two ports. You will be randomly attacked by various sea creatures on your way, which you must fight with your trusty spear gun. You collect conch shells from these encounters, and you use these as money in each port to buy a JAWS radar and then upgrades to your spear gun. The goal of the game is to defeat JAWS, the shark. You do this buy reducing his health to zero with your spear gun, and if you do this you are brought to a little mini-game where you have to line him up with the front of your boat and then ram him with the large sharp pole on the end of the boat, killing him off for good. Overall very addicting gameplay.

Difficulty: 7/10

The game is hard, while not being all too hard. You'll probably die the first 3 to 4 times you play, but after that you should get the hang of it. Not too bad.

Replay Value: 7/10

From start to finish, without dying... this game takes around 15 minutes to beat. It's an addicting game, so expect to come back and spend another 15 minutes on this little gem time and time again...

So all and all this game receives a 7.4, rounded down to 7 for GameFaqs compatibility.

*This game receives The Ass Punch bronze seal of appreciation!*