Review by PKT_Paladin

"The game that started it all is just as good as all the rest"

Several years ago, I purchased this game at Funcoland after having played the great games of Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI, and to no surprise, this game was just as good. Final Fantasy, the first of the series and still one of the best today, is worthy of its name and in every aspect is an excellent game.

Music: 10/10
Nobuo Uematsu has outdone himself, creating the tree which branches all of the well known songs we know today. I still listen to the remixed version of the music in this game and the orchestrated music from this game from ''Final Fantasy Symphonic Suite'' and it is amazing how well written and excellent the music is. Any of the bad music, if there is any bad music, is left to the parts of the game that aren't played much: I've played through this game many times and not once do I remember having heard a song that I didn't like coming from the game.

Control: 10/10
How much control do you need for a RPG game? The menus are easily accessed and to equip weapons and buy spells for your character is simple. The battle system is easily used and not difficult to understand. There are only two buttons used in this game, usually, and that is A for Accept and B for Cancel. I never read the manual for this game and I was still able to figure out just what to do every step of the way.

Graphics : 8/10
For modern gamers, the graphics aren't as good as we'd expect them to be for a NES game. However, being the first in the series, the graphics for this game were the basis for the graphics in every other Final Fantasy game made for the NES. The battle graphics are decent, the map graphics are excellent, and the character graphics are great, too.

This is where the game shines: the gameplay aspect. This game provides a wide variety of challenges as well as multiple options during gameplay to make this game extremely fun. In the beginning, you strategically choose your four warriors which are all different in their abilities and strengths. Then, you use them in battle to defeat monsters, gain experience points and gold, and use that to become stronger and eventually overcome the evil Chaos. Enemies throughout the game become more difficult to defeat and are diverse in attacks. Unlike most other Final Fantasy games after this one, this game is still quite difficult considering the various elements and obstacles that the player must overcome using his four ''Light Warriors'' and that is why the player must put more thought into the game rather than just mashing the A button to win battles.

Replay Value: 10/10
Most players can develop their own replay strategies by choosing different party members in the beginning of the game. For example, I have heard of just a party of White Mages which makes the game difficult as well as any other weak party, or even just one member to the party. It is fun to replay the adventure again with a new party or perhaps having bought different spells or just approaching different events of the game differently than you did the first time or any other prior time the game was played.

For the first Final Fantasy in the series, this game is nearly flawless. You can expect the first in the series to be the original and therefore one of the best in a series that has had great developments on three consoles, and your expectations are completely fulfilled. This game provides many fun hours of gameplay for the old-time gamers and for the modern day gamers from its fun challenges to its decent story to its great music and sounds. It's definitely worth the purchase price!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/01, Updated 07/17/01