Review by PContaminator

"The immortal classic.........Thank you Squaresoft!"

This is the one that started it all, the Phenomenon we know as Final Fantasy. This series has had a giant influence and impact on RPGs and gaming in general today. Final Fantasy is quite arguably the greatest video game series ever. The stories are genius, the music gripping and the character develpment astonishing; Final Fantasy's influence upon the gaming industry is simply amazing. Without Final Fantasy, the competition and layout of RPGs would be really different; infact RPGs might not even exist. Technically Final Fantasy is the greatest game ever made, for without its impact, Gaming jsut wouldn't be the same.

Graphics 6/10- Okay, little 8-Bit sprites are far from state of the art, but they do accurately convey the whole ''Fantasy'' mood. Simplistic yet sufficient, the graphics do thier job.

Control/Gameplay 9/10- This classic is more than outdated. The controls only require four buttons and the gameplay is extremely linear, but for an RPG of its age it is the king. Simplistic and short with no tangents and sidequests it will bore you a bit, but its still a fun quickplay through.

Music 7/10- The music is scratchy and 8-Bit but it is the birth of the famous Final Fantasy Prelude!(Which was missing from FFVIII for some reason.

Story 5/10- Compared todays complex storylines, FFs doesn't stand the test of time. Though the story here is used basically over again in the first 5 FFs. Four heros mysteriously show up holding orbs and must save the world from a new evil.

Replay 3/10- Unlike its followers, it really has no optional quests except one. Even still a quick play through once more might be fun.

Overall 10/10- I know what your thinking. How can you give a 10 to a game with such wierd scores on the other parts? Well even though this game is very simplistic and bland compared todays standards, where would we be without it? I know its really not a great game, but it deserves our respect because without it we wouldn't have FFVI ot Tactics and all the great games that it influenced. Even though your outdated, I tip my hat to you Final Fantasy.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/24/00, Updated 01/24/00