Review by TBranford

"Original and fun, for a while..."

Introduction
Okay, here is the deal. I like a lot of role playing games, and have played a few of them. I got introduced to a game called Dragon Warrior about a year ago, and enjoyed playing it a lot. Then, I found out about this game called ''Final Fantasy'' and I just had to try it. After playing this game for a while and finally beaten it, I had mixed feelings about the game. On one hand, I had a lot of fun playing it, and it had everything I wanted in a role playing game. On the other hand, a lot of the game was tedious, as you spent a lot of time killing enemies to raise levels and gold amounts. This leads toa lot of boring sections of the game. But once you get out of the level building stages, you will have a lot of fun playing the game.

Graphics (8/10)
These are not the best graphics I have ever seen, but if you remember that this is a NES game and not a SNES or PSX game, then these graphics will be perfectly acceptable in your mind. The character designs are average, as the jobs from some games like Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy Tactics are featured, but they each look a tad different in this game. The enemy designs in the game are pretty nice and I especially like how there are a variety of enemies in the game (although there is the ocassional ''same enemy with different color'' syndrome that plagues a lot of RPGs). Overall, the graphics in this game are decent.

Music and Sound Effects (6/10)
Again, these music and sound effects don't really compare to some of the music and sound effects in the newer RPGs coming out, but they are still decent enough to get a good score from me. First off, the music in the game is quite good, as there is actually some music from some of the later Final Fantasies featured in this game. For instance, the battle victory music in FF7 is basically a remix of the battle victory music in this game! Also, the battle music in this game is great, and I am a big fan of it. Sound effects in the game are average, the only one I don't really care for at all is the sound that occurs when a text bubble pops up. Otherwise, the sound effects are decent. Overall, the music and sound effects are nothing special but they get the job done.

Gameplay and Control (5/10)
Final Fantasy is a lot like your basic RPG, as it features a lot of the basic elements that a game needs to have to be considered a RPG. First off, the battle system. The battle system in the game is quite good, as there are a lot of things that you can do during battle. You can attack an enemy, use magic, etc. I like how you can buy magic in the game, although I like the ''learning magic'' system better. One of the annoying things about the battle system in the game is the fact that when you kill an enemy, your next character's attack will not move onto the next enemy. So let's say you kill an enemy, and your next character aimed for the same enemy. Instead of moving on and hitting the next enemy, it will just aim at the empty space which the killed enemy occupied. I think that is really retarded. Otherwise, the gameplay is pretty good, as I had a lot of fun playing it. Levelling up can prove to be quite tedious after a while (as in Dragon Warrior). Overall, the control in the game is decent, and the gameplay is fun for a while and the battle system is good.

Replay Value: Average
The game really did not have the drawing power I expected, but I did play through the game until I beat it. The main reason for this is the fact that I spent so much time levelling up my characters, that I didn't want to waste all that time without actually beating the game and seeing the ending. Overall, the replay value in this game is decent.

Challenge: High
This is a pretty challenging game, at least it was for me when I played through it. I think I didn't spend as much time raising my levels as I was supposed to (and I spent a few hours levelling up) I then leveled up and did a little better, but the game was still pretty challenging, especially some of the bosses.

Overall (5/10)
Final Fantasy is a decent game, and I had fun playing it. However, it will never make any of my favorite game lists, because the simple fact is that the game can get quite tedious and cumbersome at times. Otherwise, this is a good purchase based on the fact that its FINAL FANTASY.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/00, Updated 07/05/00