Review by BatmanBegins05

"Remarkably Still Regailed as the Best Boxing Game Ever Made"

This is game is quite simply a classic, most gamers who grew up in the 80s and 90s have played this game and I hope more new school gamers will decide to give it a try. Forget the Fight Night crap, this game is still better than all of them. What I like most about the game is the simplicity. You take on the role of Little Mac, an aspiring pint sized fighter who is the ultimate underdog in all of his fights. Most boxers in the game outweigh Mac by near double his size; giving the gamer that classic underdog feel. The controls in the game are very sharp and underneath all of the simplicity in the game are intricate strategies and patterns that can be used to defeat your opponents. To paraphrase GameFaqs user briansulpher, "New strategies are still being discovered, even to this day." I would also highly recommend briansulpher's FAQ if you ever get stuck as it is very well written.

The game has a bit of a cartoony feel, as you make your weigh up through the circuits, Mac will fight through many hilarious stereotypical boxers. If you win the world heavyweight video game boxing title, you will get a shot at the Dream Bout, a match with Iron Mike himself. Mike Tyson in video game form is a legend in his own right. Tyson stymied many kids who got to Tyson with thunderous uppercuts dealt in the first 1:30. Many gamers have claimed Tyson was in fact impossible. I can say firsthand, that if you can weather that first 1:30 and dodge Tyson's haymakers, you'll have a shot. A funny side story: When watching a washed up Tyson in a pay per view match in 2005 at my friends house; someone said: "It's just like the video game, all you have to do is make it past the first minute thirty."

Graphics: 10/10 Nice animations of the boxers falling down and facial expressions.

Sound: 10/10 It's got some classic themes that will really put you in the mood for a boxing match

Gameplay: 10/10 It's a lot of fun and the learning curve is not too difficult.

Controls: 10/10 Very sharp and responsive.

Fun Factor: 10/10 No complaints here, it's amazing and I still go back to it once in awhile for my video boxing fix.

Overall: 10/10 What are you waiting for? Go pick it up if you've never tried it. It's a small investment (about $15) for one of the best games on the NES.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/24/11

Game Release: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (US, 10/31/87)