Review by Edge107

""Hey! Mr. Referee Mario. I like your hair!""

This is my review for the fighting game Mike Tyson’s Punch Out for the NES system. In my opinion this is the greatest boxing game yet to made. This game saved me from boredom countless times and I know that it will save you from boredom too. Mike Tyson’s Punch Out also has one of my favorite game character of all time, Little Mac!!! Well with that said and done here is my review.

Gameplay-10
Unlike the many boxing games out there where you fight a few matches and then a championship, Mike Tyson’s Punch Out goes into a completely new and much funner direction. There are three leagues which you compete in for the title. In these leagues you have to beat anywhere from 3 to 7 opponents to win the Circuit Title. After collecting all the circuit titles you get to fight the champion. Like most boxing games you have a stamina meter and a health meter. In Mike Tyson’s Punch Out you have a certain number of hearts which represents Little Mac’s stamina. If the hearts reach 0 you have to hold off punching and focus on dodging till Little Mac can catch his breath. You lose hearts by blocking and of course, getting punched. The way you lose health is pretty obvious. When you get punched you lose health. There is also another feature in this great game, and that is a star punch. Little Mac has a super move which he gets by punching people at just the right time. That’s all I have to say about the gameplay, but without a doubt, gameplay is this games greatest point.

Graphics-10
Don’t shun the graphics just because this is NES. Mike Tyson’s Punch Out has better graphics than some games I have seen on SNES. Although they are very cartoonish, this games graphics never fail to give me a laugh. There is great detail on the faces of your opponents and Little Mac. There is also a good amount of detail in the background crowd along with the ring. But my favorite thing about Mike Tyson’s Punch Out is the referee. It’s Mario!!! And it looks just like him but even better than in his games. So for all of these reasons I give graphics a 10.

Sound-10
There is not much to say about Mike Tyson’s Punch Out’s sound, but, it’s awesome. I find the music in this game very catchy and fun to listen too. It also fits the mood of an exciting boxing match very well. Although the sound effects are kind of corny, they are still kind of funny to listen to. I liked the roaring of the crowd and the ringing of the bell, but there is one minor set back and that is when your opponent gets punched. A kind of strange squeaking type of noise comes out and it can get quite annoying. But that does not stop me from giving sound a 10.

Controls-9
Although there are only two buttons, and 4 different kinds of punches, the controls are very simple, easy to learn, and, most importantly, easy to execute. I found it very easy to do quick punches, quick dodges, and star punches, but there is only one concern of mine. That is blocking. I find it very hard sometimes to block some punches. Often times it is necessary to block a punch to get through a fight still standing. But that problem does not stop me from giving Mike Tyson’s Punch Out’s controls a much deserved 9.

Time-10
What’s this??? A boxing game having more than 10 hours of fun gameplay??? I didn’t think that was possible, but I guess it is possible for Mike Tyson’s Punch Out. You will have many hours of fun just trying to beat all of the circuits and the champion himself. But once you have beaten the game, that most definitely does not mean there is nothing else to do. You can also spend many more hours trying to beat your times at knocking out your opponents, finding everyone’s weakness, and trying to KO the champion himself, which is an extreme challenge. My first time playing the game, just beating the circuits, took me a good 8 hours or so. For never getting boring, I give time a 10.

Fun Factor-10
You want a fun game?? Well Mike Tyson’s Punch Out most certainly fits that criteria. This is one of the enjoyable games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Whether I am just battling through the circuits, or trying to take down the champion, this game never ceases to have fun. I love the comic humor of a 7 foot tall contender going up against the 5 foot tall Little Mac. This game also has many funny opponents and quotes that the opponents say, and you cannot forget about the Mario!! There is not a more enjoyable boxing game out there, then Mike Tyson’s Punch Out. So if you want a smile on your face and a skip in your step, Mike Tyson’s Punch Out is most certainly that game.

Overall
Gameplay-10
Graphics-10