Review by metroid king16

"Wow an amazing boxing game that never gets old!"

Mike Tyson's Punch Out is a great boxing game that will always be fun. Even though it's not on a new generation system it still beats all other boxing games.

Gameplay :10/10- The gameplay is awesome in this game. What makes it so good is that there are easy fights and then there are VERY tough fights. The characters that you face in matches are very funny and have neat features. Every boxer in the game has his own unique look and attacks. Some do uppercuts, some do jabs, and some throw hooks. But, they all have their own special attack that will destroy you if you don't know how to avoid it. It's a really great game to sit down and play if you're bored, it will always keep your attention. It does require a lot of focus though, which may help you in other games too. Before each opponent you face does his special attack he will give a sign, showing that the attack is coming up. When you see this be ready to block or sidestep it. The controls are easy from the get go. Although with time in this game you will become a more skilled boxer, as you learn more of what to do. It's also good because it's not really short. It's kind of a lengthy game. Overall it has great gameplay.

Story: 4/10- There really isn't much of a story to this game. It just follows a young boxer named Mac who is destined to become a champion. He also has a trainer that sticks beside him through his whole career. When a round is over you can count on him being in your corner giving you tips on how to beat your opponent. I think he looks exactly like Carl Winslow from Family Matters. Haha.

Graphics: 9/10- The graphics are amazing in this game for it being on NES. They are very detailed when it comes to the characters looks. It even has great motion detail. Characters will blink, raise they're eyebrows, flex, charge, or open their mouth. When they do this, they're just giving you a sign that their special attack is coming. But it also seemed to me when I was playing, that they were taunting me.

Sound: 6/10- All you hear is the boxers grunting when they get hit, Mario mumbling when he's counting you out, and the screaming crowd. I did like the music though, especially in the little cut scene where Mac is training. The opponent introduction music is cool in it's own little unique way as well.

Replay: 8/10- It will most likely take you a long while to beat this game all the way through. Once you start to get into different circuits, your opponents get much tougher as they are more skilled fighters. But, it's all about getting to the final battle with Mike Tyson. Have fun with him, he's a tough one. But, once you finally do beat him, you will most likely want to go back through the game again to just pummel the weak fighters. Since now you are a Legendary fighter everything will be easy. The game is really fun to play over again, because it's fun to beat people up in video games. Duh, how could that not be fun!?

Final Recommendation- This game is definitely worth buying. Since you most likely won't be able to find any places that rent out NES games anymore, you'll have to buy it. Oh well, it's worth it. You'll probably have to do some searching on Ebay or something to find it. I'd say it will cost you anywhere from $5 to $20 at the most to purchase it. Do your searching, buy it, and have fun for many years playing this game. I believe it's still the best boxing game ever made.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/24/04