Review by Angel_Wolf_XX

"Watch out for that -- *CHOMP!* ... Fish..."

Hello! This is a review for Balloon Fight for the NES, which was later added to the Virtual Console for the Nintendo Wii. This game has had many ports in its time, including the most recent one, Tingle's Balloon Fight for the Nintendo DS. There is also a mini-game on WarioWare: Smooth Moves for the Nintendo Wii based solely on the Balloon Trip mini-game for Balloon Fight.

Now that you know, lets get on with the review!

------

Story - 1/10

Honestly, there really is no story. You play as a man who is a Balloon Fighter, and you're basically flying in the air and trying to take out your bird-masked opponents by popping their balloons before they can pop your own. Other hazards include lightning sparks, a giant fish, and a flipper (which was an item used in Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube).

Graphics - 6/10

It's good for what it is. Not a lot goes on in the game as far as graphics go. It's pretty much a black sky with green grass and blue water, with the occasional thunder cloud that appears to try to stun you. It makes it easy on the eyes, but it could have been a little bit better, considering the simplicity of the video game. Then again, maybe that is a good thing!

Sound - 7/10

I have played many NES video games, and heard many different sounds sampled in other NES video games, but this surprised me. Most of the sounds used in this video game sound like they are original sound clips, which is a nice change from all the other NES video games that tend to sample sound clips from each other. Again, not a lot of variety, but at least it is it's own as far as I can tell.

Music (or rather, Balloon Trip) - 10/10

This got a high rating only because there is one song in the entire game (technically two if you count the Game Over melody), and that song is Balloon Trip. Balloon Trip is a very light-hearted happy song that has been remixed numerous times throughout Nintendo history, once in Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube, then again in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. The song is still used in many of the ports to this day, and is considered one of the most memorable songs from the good ol' NES days.

Gameplay - 10/10

This is a video game that you can either play for five minutes, or thirty minutes, or even a couple of hours. The stages are very repetitive and on-going, but the simplicity of it is what charms most people. There are no Princesses that need saving, no Goddesses to be rescued, no Mother Brains to destroy, no viruses to kill with mega-vitamins, and no Little Macs to punch the living daylights out of you. It's just you, your balloons, and trying to stay afloat for as long as you can without having your balloons popped. And that is what makes this game awesome.

Replay Value - 7/10

There is definitely replay value in this video game. It's straight-forward and easy to play, and if you have a friend to play with, you can do co-op and try to pop your friends balloons as well as the balloons of your opponents. You can either work together, or fight each other. It's all up to you. I personally like to bump my friends near the water so the fish can come up and eat them! But it can still be very fun and challenging to see just how far you can get if you and your partner work together as a team to take down your opponents.

FINAL RATING - 7/10

You'll either like this video game or hate this video game. It just depends if you're into video games with a great story, or a video game that is just simple, low-stress, and fun. Balloon Fight is definitely in my Top 5 favorite NES games, and to this day, whenever I play WarioWare: Smooth Moves for the Nintendo Wii, the very first thing I do is play Balloon Trip on there. Balloon Fight can do no wrong!

For 500 Wii Points, which is the same as $5, you can download this video game and play it on your Nintendo Wii. It's worth it if you have Wii Points to spare and you like a game that is simple and easy to play. This would be an awesome game if it was re-vamped and ported to the Gameboy Advance for American audiences, but the odds of that happening are unlikely. Here's to hoping we see our favorite Balloon Fighter soon! Heck, lets hope he gets his own name. Mario got one, right?

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/27/08

Game Release: Balloon Fight (US, 07/16/07)