Review by CrazyCarl92

"A Completely Average Arcade Game Ported to the NES!"

More arcade games ported to my Nintendo Entertainment System! Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyy! Nah, this game is actually pretty fun. It has a ridiculously simple gameplay system and it blatantly ripped off Joust, but hey, the idea for the Ipod was a rip off from earlier MP3 players, but it still greatly improved them. Okay, so that is not exactly the best comparison, but you get the idea. This game is better than Joust. So, let's get on with the review!

Gameplay: 7.5/10.

The gameplay in this game was fairly good. Like I said earlier, it is a direct rip off from Joust, but I don't really care, because they improved it. It was pretty fun, but it was also short-lived and a little too easy. I really loved how they had Nessie (or, that's what I call it, at least) in the water to eat anyone that fell down there. I uploaded a picture of this on here so you can see that, if you want. Anyways, yeah, you fly above the bad guys and hit them to pop their balloons. Really simple, but it is surprisingly more fun than it sounds. It just gets old after a bit. The bonus stages that pop up every few levels are a nice transition to an otherwise extremely repetitive game (there's no way to beat it, the levels just loop).

There is also a mode where you try to fly through obstacles and collect balloons without getting hit for the sole purpose of getting a high score, but I don't care for it, really.

Story: */10.

No story, along with most other arcade games. Not holding that against this game since it is old.

Sound: 7/10.

The sound was pretty good. The little music they play when one of the enemies are falling or when Nessie eats someone is pretty funny and enjoyable. It's pretty much what you expect from an arcade game. Nothing special here, so they get an average rating.

Graphics: 7/10.

These graphics were pretty much the same as all the other arcade games at the time. Just like the sound, there is nothing special here, so they get an average rating.

Overall: 7.2/10.

Rounded: 7/10.

Yeah, this game is pretty much average in every way for its time. Check it out if you like arcade style games at all, because it is pretty fun for a few minutes. It is not too hard to have some fun playing this game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/16/09

Game Release: Balloon Fight (US, 06/30/86)