Review by Vegita

"Up in the air! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a...kid with a balloon?"

Ranking:

Individual Enjoyment: 7/10
Challenge: 8/10
Ending: 2/10

Good Points:
What an interesting concept. You are some guy, floating along in the sky, with a couple of balloon and a fan. Um...is this some sort of thrill-seeking thing? I'm confused...oh well, does this game float along, or does it plummet to the ground at high speeds?

Graphics: Ok, let's face it. Early Nintendo games had terrible graphics. It's not like they could help it or anything...they didn't know how to program really good stuff yet! It's like comparing this game to Dragon Warrior 4 (which is what I did), or comparing Dragon Warrior 4 to Final Fantasy 6 or 8.

Sound Effects: Bloop. Bloop. Bland.

Music: Not much, and what IS there isn't exactly the most memorable stuff in the world. I mean, look at Super Mario Brothers. It only had, like, 7 different pieces of music. But ALL of them are VERY memorable. You can remember the normal stage music, the Underground music, Starman, Underwater, Castle, and death music. Not that we WANT to remember that last one...

Originality: One thing that's really good about old Nintendo games is that there's no lack of originality. For cryin' out loud, who comes up with this stuff? A guy floating along in the sky with balloons and a fan? What the heck?

Play Control: Ok, how easy do you THINK it'd be to pilot a pair of balloons? Not very easy, I'm telling you. Yes, it's true, this game DOES have the whole ''constant downward velocity'', but it's really not that big a deal. I figured out how to program that into stuff in QBasic, and those were text games!

Enjoyment: Another thing old Nintendo games never lack is enjoyment. Sure, there's not much in the way of plot, but who cares? You're floating along, grabbing stuff and dodgin' stuff. The trick is, play this game with a partner, and you're going to have quite a bit of competition. I mean, you vs. him. You get more points by dissing him, but at the same time, you want to use him to try and survive. Gee, what should you do? I usually just down him.

Challenge: Ah, the perfect balance of challenge. You don't immediately turn up the difficulty, nor do you make the entire game easy, except for the last stage. This game does it just right.

Ending: What ending? Who CARES about the ending? You're obviously not playing this game to get to the end...

Bad Points:
Ok, so nothing immediately comes to mind. The sound could have been better, but for when this game came out, it's decent. The music isn't very catchy, but at least there IS music. That's a big step up from the Atari.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/00, Updated 02/16/00