Review by pafbonk

"PUNCH! PUNCH! PUNCH!"

Sports games. Oh how unoriginal can they get. You know it's pretty bad when they take a sport and just modify pretty much the same game and release it every year. The only sports games worth playing in my opinion are exaggerated ones, like NFL blitz for example.

Is Blades of Steel exaggerated? Well, not that much...but it's still fresh and remains my favorite hockey game. To hell with NHL. So as a stereotypical Canadian, I review a hockey game.

Blades of steel lets you choose between a few teams and duke it out with either your friends or the CPU. You control each player from your time and your goal is to get the puck in the goal. What a surprise. The game controls really well and passing and shooting is done fairly easily. You can switch between your players without problem, including your goalie. But what sets it apart from other hockey games? Well for starters, the game flows well for a NES game and playing it is fun. Scoring goals is challenging, yet it's still a pleasure to do every time. There's also the shootouts when the game is a tie, which offers a very cool 3D perspective for a 1988 game, and it's also really neat to play.

But let's face it, everybody's favorite part is fighting. Oh yeah. In this game, when 2 players collide 3 times in a row, they cross fists and you go in fighting mode, where you can attack up and down and block up and down. When I play with friends, I find myself starting fights on purpose, just for the heck of it. But the thing is the graphics of this game actually help it, because seeing those tiny players start punching each other just before you enter fight mode is the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. Actually, most of the game is pleasantly humorous in this kind of way. You even get to play a scrolling shooter minigame on half-time! Pretty sweet.

So with cool graphics, a nice presentation, a fun gameplay and big replayability since you'll be playing this game a lot with your friends, this game is worth buying. Plus, NES games do not cost very much these days. I however do not suggest buying a NES just for this game. If you do, get Mario Bros 3!

I give this game a 94% mark- one of my favorites on the console and probably my favorite sports game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/12

Game Release: Blades of Steel (US, 12/31/88)