Review by Psycho Penguin

"I used to love this game, now....."

When I was a kid, there was a select few NES games that I played. Quattro Sports. Mario. Tiny Toons. And A Boy and its Blob. The thing is, most of the games I played 5 or 6 years ago, I no longer enjoy playing. This painful fact about Boy and A Blob, one of my favorite childhood games, became very obvious to me when I played it the first time in two years, and quickly turned it off after a few minutes. I don't know what it is but the game just doesnt have the same spark for me than it did when I was a young kid. Maybe it's due to the lack of replay value, I don't know. All Im saying is that I used to enjoy playing this game, now I don't. Th ewhole concept of feeding a pet blob jellybeans just seems boring to me now. And the game is very challenging, I used to beat it a lot now I didnt even get past the second stage! So, if you never played this game before, you might want to play it again. If you liked it before and loved it, you may not have the same feeling now.

Graphics (7.3/10): The graphics in the game are pretty good but not great. The backgrounds are decently designed, especially the colorful outdoor scenes in Blobonia. The 1st stage graphics look pretty good, especially when you're underground. The charcater designs are pretty good as well, Blob is a white blob with blue eyes and the kid is wearing a green shirt and blue pants. Decent graphics, nothing spectacular.

Music/Sound (6.4/10): The music in this game is not the best Ive heard, but is adequate for a game like this. The sound effects are cool, especialy when your blob eats a jellybean and turns into something. Good music and good sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (5.8/10): The main point of this game is you have a pet blob who if you feed jellybeans can turn into different things, such as a rocket, ladder, or brick. So feeding a blob different jellbeans in different places is the only way you're going to beat the game. You only get a certain amount of each jellybean though so make sure to only use them when you must.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (5.7/10): Its fun.. for the first time. If you're a veteran Boy and A Blob player then stay away.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/00, Updated 07/16/01