Review by Dugger1981

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

Bubble Bobble was one of my favorite NES games as a child, and it remains as one of my favorite video games of all time today.

I believe Bubble Bobble is one of the greatest games of all time and I believe it will stand the test of time due to its simplicity. You play as a dinosaur with the capability of blowing bubbles and you set out for adventure in a deep cave with many levels. In the end, you learn that the purpose of your adventure was to rescue your lover.

There is not much to say about a plot or storyline for this game because Bubble Bobble was about good old-fashioned pick-up-and-play video gaming. You pressed the B button to shoot bubbles at the enemy and you pressed the A button to jump (you could also jump off the top of the bubbles without popping them to "climb" to higher altitude). The purpose of each level was simple: trap the enemies in the bubbles and pop the bubbles. The further you advanced into the game, the more difficult it became, for the enemies were faster and escaped from the bubbles faster in the later stages.

Those unfamiliar with the game might think over 100 levels of trapping enemies in bubbles sounds repetitive and dull; however, the many different power-ups available, varied enemies and the varied level designs prevented this game from being too repetitive. Upon completion of the game, you receive a password to play a more difficult version, which was known as Super Bubble Bobble. The more difficult version has the same level designs; however, the difficult enemies show up much earlier in the game at this point. The Super Bubble Bobble game also had different colors than the regular version for its levels. Enemies in Super Bubble Bobble quickly escaped from their bubbles much earlier in Super Bubble Bobble than in the regular version.

PROS
* Password for every level
* Infinite continues
* Wide variety of power-ups
* Fun two-player experience
* Great re-play value
* Simple pick-up-and-play gaming
* Suitable for all ages

CONS
* Nothing

Bubble Bobble is one of those brilliant games in which you cannot seem to find anything bad to say about it. There are no overly complex puzzles to solve and no ridiculously difficult enemies to defeat. Its simple shoot-em-and-pop-em game play (and power-ups that make it more convenient) is an example of simplicity at its finest. This game is suitable for all ages and appeals to the casual gamer as well as the hardcore gamer. Whether you are simply seeking to finish the adventure and/or trying to set a new high score, Bubble Bobble will keep you and your friends/family entertained.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/05/12

Game Release: Bubble Bobble (US, 11/30/88)