Review by Cloudcrash

"One of the greatest games made for the NES."

With the introduction of every gaming system since the Nintendo 64 a lot of people put up their NES because they didn't play them as much. Years passed and they forget about all the great games that kept them glued to the screen for hours. Recently my friends and I dug out my old NES and a game called Bubble Bobble.
I used to play this all the time when I was a little kid, and I used to think it was the best game ever. Not too much has changed. Most of the games for the NES didn't have much to them, were too hard, or too easy, and you didn't feel like playing them after a while. Bubble Bobble seems to have just about the perfect amount of difficulty, and it's one of the most addictive games made for the NES.
The story . . . well, there's really not much to it. Bub and Bob's girlfriends were kidnapped and they're off to get them. You really don't buy a game like this for the story.
The graphics were a little primitive, even for the NES with their two-dimensional, one layer viewpoint, but they let you do what you wanted to do without distracting you from the gameplay. The actual backgrounds in Bubble Bobble 2 are a definite improvement from the black that covers every level in Bubble Bobble, but it's not so important that you feel like something's missing.
The music of this game is some of the most catchy, repetitive, and most well-selected music, competing only with the Lolo series. But you can't argue that it's just about the perfect choice for this game. You really notice something's missing when you turn down the volume.
The gameplay is where Bubble Bobble has it's strong points. You're a dinosaur, and everyone thinks dinosaurs are cool, you blow bubbles (hence the title), and trap enemies inside of them while trying not to let them touch you or hit you with the things they throw. Whoever came up with this idea is one of the most brilliant minds ever to be in this world. Once the enemies are in bubbles you have to run and jump over to the floating bubbles to pop them before they pop themselves and the monsters captured inside get very mad and start going double speed in order to get their revenge. Once you've beaten the first 100+ levels and you've beaten the really funny (but challenging) main boss you get to play in Super Bubble Bobble mode for the next 100+ levels for an extra challenge.
So you see, Bubble Bobble is one of the most unique, addictive, and fun games ever made for the NES. So next time you're playing an RPG for the PS2 and you get stuck, and really frustrated at the game, dig out your NES, pop Bubble Bobble into and play the game that never really gets old. If you don't have this game now, go and get it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/10/02, Updated 05/10/02