Review by WhatTheDeuce92

"What an incredibly short game..."

Well, people who read this review might complain. I understand that it's not 1981 anymore, I understand that this is an old game, and I understand that I can't expect much. All I'm saying is, even for an old game, this game isn't that good. It is a very fun game but it definitely falls short.

Story: 5
Well, if you want to call it a story, here it is. In this game, you control Mario, and you have to rescue Pauline. Who's Pauline? I'd also like to know. I guess back then they didn't have Peach. Anyway, the big ape Donkey Kong has captured Pauline and you, Mario, need to save her. Obstacles stand in your path and Donkey Kong doesn't make it too easy to rescue her.

Gameplay: 9
Definitely the best part of the game. This game is a fun game, I'll give you that. If it's fun now, I'm sure it was very fun back in the '80s. You control Mario with your Wii remote, GameCube controller, or Classic controller, just like all other NES games on the VC. I've only played it using the Wii remote, because it feels comfortable and it's very simple. You use the directional buttons to move Mario and the 2 button to jump. Very simple. You have to do various things to save Pauline. For example, in the first level you have to make your way to the top by climbing ladders while dodging barrels thrown down by Donkey Kong.

Sound: 6
Not much to say about the sound. It's just your typical Arcade/NES-type sounds. I wish I could explain more, but there's really not much to say about them. It's not like I found myself pushing the Mute button on my TV, but it's not like I think they're really great sounds, either. Mediocre at best.

Graphics: 5
I guess you can't really expect great graphics from a game like this, but I've seen way better NES graphics than this. You can definitely make out what things are, but nothing is detailed in any way, at least in my opinion. These aren't good graphics, simply put, even for this game's time.

Play Time/Replayability: 4
Alright, now this is where the game really sucks. The only reason this category's score even has a 4 is because of the replayability. If I put Play Time into it's own category, it would've gotten a 0. At the price they put VC games for the NES, which is 500 points($5) for those of you who don't know, this game wasn't worth my money. Why? Well, this game only has three levels in the whole game. I beat this whole game(on difficulty A and B) in 20 minutes tops. Now, it's always fun to play this game over and over again, but what's the point?

Final Recommendation
I recommend not getting this game, unless you were a huge fan of it and want to play it again. There's too many other great VC games on the Wii Shop Channel to be wasting your time and money with this. If this game didn't cost $5, or if there was more levels in it, my opinion would probably be different. Not to mention that if Nintendo put Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii then this game would be useless to get, because it comes with that game. I wish there was more to this game, but for the 20 minutes I played this game for, it was fun.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/26/07, Updated 12/10/12

Game Release: Donkey Kong (US, 11/19/06)