"Back at 1986, ape mayhem is popular."

Yes, back in the 1980's, there were a lot of games based on apes (King Kong and Donkey Kong for example). I just don't get this, but ape mayhem is somehow very popular, especially with capturing innocent women, climbing to great heights, and eventually, falling to their doom.

And this game is no exception. You have to rescue your love of your life, Pauline, from Donkey Kong.

The graphics were good for the time. The characters were properly rendered. And the decision of Mario wearing a hat easily made him (in my opinion) the best character in the entire game. The platforms look nice and colorful after every level.

Sometimes, trying to emulate arcade tunes with exact hits isn't good enough to keep arcade ports moving. Here, it means composing the entire score from scratch. And that's why I loved the music in this game. Mario's movement goes so well in-sync with the music that I once consider Mario's movement a complete work of art.

Controlling your character is err...real tight. You have to jump and rush your way to the end of the level. But sometimes, I couldn't get the main feel of a fast-paced game because of the tight controls. But I must say, the response time is real nice and it kept preventing me from falling a lot.

Your goal in this game is to reach Pauline, who was previously captured by the vile Donkey Kong (lets out evil laugh on purpose). Evading your enemies could be a hit-and-miss. If you think you know where your enemies go (sometimes), then you're more likely to be surprised where that bad thing might go. I encountered that problem about 25 times during my 15-turn test run when I first bought this game.

The level designs were nice. It took me a while to go through the flow of where those levels lead to. It also takes patience to reach your goal in one of them. And I liked it that you get to destroy pillars in one particular level. I thought that was a cool thing to see back at the 80's.

You can basically go through every level at least one in around 10-12 minutes. But this game continues to offer a higher difficulty level after each and every playthrough round you go through. And that's the main reason you're likely going to play this game again.

Donkey Kong for the NES is a really fun game because of its great controls and engrossing gameplay. I think this game deserves to be a buy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/17/10

Game Release: Donkey Kong (US, 06/30/86)