Review by Psycho Penguin

"As fun as a barrel of monkeys!"

Donkey Kong was Sigeru Miyamoto's first game for Nintendo, after Nintendo lost the Popeye license. (ahh, Nintendo history). So they told Miyamoto after losing the license to make a cool game. They were not too thrilled with the idea he came up with. But aren't they gald they thought of it: Donkey Kong became one of the most popular games ever. This is a review to the NES version.

GRAPHICS 7/10
The graphics were pretty good, especially for a game that tranlsates from a 1979 arcade game. There were basicaly pink platforms with blue ladders. Mario looked like well, mario (he was known as JumpMan back then). And Donkey Kong looked like a huge ape. Graphics are alright.

CONTROL 9/10
Ever notice how sometimes you won't walk up the ladder even though you're right on top of it? This has happened to me several times, and it gets rather frustating. Other than this (HUGE) flaw, the game's control is good.

GAMEPLAY 10/10
Donkey Kong was the first arcade game I ever played (ahh..nostalgia) and I have loved it ever since. Basically, you are Mario, and you have to save the princess (wow, what a surprise :) but from a huge ape. He throws barrels at you. basically, thr object is to get to the top and save the princess by climbing up ladders and jumping over barrels. Too bad there's not as much variety as in Donkey Kong Game Boy.

FUN FACTOR 8/10
Seriously, the original is a classic and very fun game. While not offering the variety of the rest of the games in the series, it still is a great and classic game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/16/01