Review by Psycho Penguin

"It has a track editor, great gameplay, and did I mention the track editor?"

Man, few times in my life have I had more fun playing a game than I did when I played Excitebike. And it really wasn't because of the game itself, no, it was mainly because of the addicting and very unique create-a-track mode. My brother and I used to spend hours on end creating unique tracks which would cause the other sibling to lose. We made everything from oil spills everywhere to 6 level 5 ramps in a row. it was really great fun. And the game wasn't that bad, either. featuring great gameplay and good graphics, Excitebike had it all. Now on with the review!

The racing game genre has never been one of my favorite video game genres, although a lot of good games that I have enjoyed have come from it. While I have not exactly loved the genre, I do enjoy playing some racing games. Some of the racing games I enjoy have been your average racing game type, I have always taken a liking to the racing games that have tried some new and innovative ideas.

One of the examples of this is an old NES game called Excitebike. Simply put, Excitebike is, was, and always will be one of my favorite NES games of all time. It may have pretty basic graphics and music/sound effects, but the control itself is top notch and the game itself is extremely fun to play. I really had a blast playing through the game, and it will probably remain one of my favorite NES games of all time, considering how fun the game is.

I really had a blast playing through the game, as it is one of the most unique and fun video games I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. The basic gameplay of the game itself is awesome, and I had a very enjoyable time playing through Excitebike. I first played through the game about six years back, as my dad bought a whole bunch of cool NES games from this local video game store. I was completely enamored by the game six years ago, and I still like it, even to this day.

Okay, so these graphics aren't that good when compared to the more recent games on Playstation 2 or Dreamcast. Well, I say to that, SO WHAT? I mean, who cares if these graphics don't look very good, back then they looked very good (and I still say that Im happy with these kind of graphics.) First off, the bike riders themselves looked pretty good. So what if it was the basic design with different colors, they still looked very well designed. Also, the backgrounds were definetly well done, especially the backgrounds featured in some of the later stages. Overall, Excitebike has nice graphics and I am perfectly happy with them.

The graphics in the game were pretty basic, as there was no great graphical special effects featured in the game. However, I do not have a problem with basic graphics in a video game. If a game is fun, the graphics in the game will usually not matter to me, unless they make the game completely unplayable. Like I have already mentioned a few times, the graphics in the game are rather plain, as the miniature motorcycle riders ride normal motorcycles, and the backgrounds are basic green grass with a brown track and blue stands with people (dots) in it.

Excitebike really does not feature much music in the game at all, and has very limited sound effects. Still, the limited music featured in the game is actually pretty good, and makes me wonder if it could have been better, had it featured more music during the races. There is no background music featured during the actual gameplay (racing the tracks) but there are some rather interesting sound effects. Also, while I stated that there was no background music during actual gameplay, there is a title screen and track finish music that sounds kiddy yet is still effective.

Sound effect wise, Excitebike isn't perfect, but it has all the basic sounds you've come to expect. The main sound effects in the game consist of an engine-like sound roaring through the stages, and your car wiping out after a major crash. You also get to hear the obligatory crowd noise, you especially hear it after major crashes. Overall, Excitebike for NES has decent music and sound effects.

The control in the game was actually pretty solid, because it was easy enough to do most of the basic stuff in the game. I liked how you had to manuever the control when landing some of the more difficult jumps in the game, for instance to land a triple jump on three different ramps you have to tap A at the last second each time you land on the ramp. You have to angle your motorcycle and rider so they don't actually crash, and it is awesome.

Excitebike. Ahh, the memories. First off, the create a track option was the first of its kind, and was very well implemented into the game. Basically, you move the screen left to right and choose from 26 basic things to put on that particular section. Everything from ramps to oil spills are right there, waiting for you to add them to the track. Definitely a very cool aspect of the game which I will now talk about even more.

One of the most unique (and best, in my opinion) features of Excitebike is the unique track editor. In this mode, you can actually build tracks and stage courses. You can use all of the neccessary obstacles, like ramps, etc. What do you do with the courses you design? Well, you can either race them yourself, or you can challenge a friend into completing the track. Either way you do it, the mode is still very fun to play, and is one of the better video game ideas of all time.

The game isn't that bad itself, as it has a lot of modes, including a challenging mode which pits you against a lot of other racers at the same time. Or you can do it solo, without having to worry about other racers. I like doing the racer mode better, because it is fun to watch them crash into each other. You would think that the game would be more challenging with the other racers included, but you'd be surprised. Overall, the game features great gameplay and control.

The game is pretty fun to play, and therefore it does have some decent replay value. It is not one of the games that features replay value in which you will want to pkay the game nonstop until you beat it, but certain aspects of the game definitely makes this game have great replay value. Especially stuff like the track editor, that just adds to the replay value even more.

This is one of the more challenging racing games I have ever played on the NES, although it is still not that chalenging. I was placing first and second in the races for a little while, after I got basic practice done. I still do fairly good in the game after a while, even if I don't play it for a few weeks. The game is actually a little easier with racers on the track because they crash into each other a lot. The game is kind of short, as it really only features 15 stages total.

Excitebike is definitely one of the premiere games on a console known for premiere games, the Nintendo Enterainment System. The game is simply so much fun to play, and it will remain one of my favorite NES games forever and ever. I will not go as far as to say that the game is perfect, because it does have some minor faults, but overall the game is very fun to play. This game is well worth a purchase if you have the time and money to invest in it.

''I will plant an oil slick next to a level 3 ramp, and I will defeat you!''

Good Points
-The game is so much fun to play, and I mean it, too.
-The track editor is unique, fun, and addictive.
-The graphics are simple yet effective.
-The sound effects never got too annoying.

Not So Good Points
-The music could have been done better and more frequent.
-The graphics could have used a boost in certain areas.
-The game just screams 1987.
-The game is kind of on the short side.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan style!
Storyline - Not Available
Graphics - 8.3/10
Music - 6.1/10
Sound Effects - 6.7/10
Control - 9.2/10
Gameplay - 9.3/10
Replay Value - Above Average
Challenge - Average
Worth a Purchase? - Yes, under 3 bucks.
Overall - 9.2/10

The Last Line: This is a great NES game and a great racing game, in a genre I have never really liked too much. I think this game is worth a purchase based on the track editor alone.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/06/00, Updated 07/16/01