Review by Psycho Penguin

"The Addams Family gets a good game for once.."

Introduction

The Addams Family series has always been one of my favorite series when it comes to TV shows. Especially the two movies that were made, those were classic. On the other hand, the translation from television series to video game series has not been kind for the Addams Family series. Especially some of the earlier games.

The original Addam's Family game for NES plain old sucked. It was an side scrolling adventure game that had no point to it whatsoever, it seems. On the other hand, Fester's Quest was a different kind of game. It was not a side scrolling adventure game, rather it was an overhead view adventure game that was different in gameplay than the other game.

I used to play this game a lot when I was a kid. My mom bought it as a birthday present for my dad, and I was enamored with the game when I first turned it on. The opening screen of the game is particuarly well done, as it shows Fester merely enjoying a nice cup of fresh lemonade on the roof of his house. Suddendly, an alien ship attacks and we see the Fester's eyebrow! History in the making, people!

Graphics (4.8/10)

The first thing you have to remember about this game is that it is indeed a NES game. Also, it came out midway through the long lifespan of the system. So, I am going to compare it to other games that were released around the same time. And when doing this, the game really comes up on the short end of the stick.

Character and enemy designs in the game are fairly interesting. Now, as you may expect, all of the main characters in the game are designed like the characters in the Addams Family series, from Puggsley to It all the way to Fester himself. The enemy designs in the game are great, as well. I especially like the orange faces with flies swirling around them, those are creative to say the least. Overall, the character and enemy designs in the game are pretty good.

Backgrounds and other designs in the game are decent, nothing special though. One of the main problems I have with the backgrounds in the game are the backgrounds in the sewer stages. There isn't necessarily a major problem with them besides the fact that they are too distracting. Outside of the sewers, the backgrounds are decent, as they are very colorful (even if most of those colors just happen to be green). Overall, the backgrounds and stage designs in the game are great.

Overall, the graphics in the game are decent, although nothing special, especially considering that some of the games released around the same time looked a lot better. I especially was annoyed by some of the backgrounds in the game as they proved to be very distracting. The enemy designs are cool though.

Music and Sound Effects (5.6/10)

The music and sound effects in the game are pretty good, although I would have expected to heard a bit more from them. The music in the game is decent, and I remember a lot of the music in the game, which I usually don’t do in a NES game. I think that is because the music is weird and unlike anything ever heard in a video game before. I would have liked to hear some more classic Addams Family tunes, as the only one ever really played is in the title screen of the game.

Music in the game is very interesting, to say the least. The music has this certain beat to it that I found strange, yet for some reason I kind of liked it. I also remember a lot of the music in the game, especially the music that is featured in the sewer stages of the game. It had this melodramatic beat to it that had this great feeling to it. The music in the overworld scenes of the game has more of a classic sound to it, as it is not too dark, drab, or dreery. I especially like the classic Addams Family tune that plays in the title screen, but I wish there would have been more classic tunes featured in the game.

Sound effects in the game are decent, as well. The weirdest sound effect in the game occurs whenever you decide to walk through the pink grass look-a-likes that infest the streets. Of course, I have no clue why you would even try to walk through them. It makes a very weird sound that I cannot help but laugh at. Other interesting sound effects occur whenever you turn the lights on in the sewers, shooting your various weapons at enemies, etc. Overall, the sound effects in the game are decent and weird, yet nothing special.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are pretty good, especially for a NES game. The music in the game is very interesting, as it really does fit the feeling of the game quite well. I especially enjoy some of the music later on in the game, and even the music in the sewer stages of the game is decent. The sound effects in the game are plain old weird, but they do have a certain charm to them. Still, this is not that great of a game when it comes to music and sound effects.

Gameplay and Control (5.8/10)

Fester’s Quest could be one of the most unique video games ever made. The basic premise of the game is so much different than most of the video games out there, especially the ones released around the same time frame as this game. Instead of going around in a side scrolling adventure game collecting stuff, you have to go around in an overhead view, finding various logos to help you in the different sections of the game.

What do I mean by this? Well, in the game you can walk around and find little pink grass look-a-likes on the ground. Shooting at these things makes them explode into a logo. These logos then go in your inventory list, for instance if you collect a light bulb logo then you would gain a light bulb in your inventory. You can get everything from gun and whip upgrades to light bulbs.

The use of these items is unique in that you have to use different items at different times. When you are in the sewer, it is very dark. So what do you think you should use to turn the lights on? How about a light bulb? Wow, what creative minds over at SunSoft! Other things include the ability to have both a whip and a gun. Unfortunately, I have still not been able to find out how to effectively use the whip in the game, so I am stuck with the gun.

Of course, being stuck with the gun isn’t too bad, because you can gain a lot of different weapons over the course of your adventure. See, you start off with a basic gun that fires small green things very slowly at the enemies. But as you gain the gun logos, your weapon power increases. Soon, you’ll be shooting everything from cannon balls to boomerangs! The quickest weapon is the one where you shoot out five or six boomerangs at one time. It is very cool after a while!

The worst part of the game, in my opinion, is when you enter one of the house and have to go through a 3D maze. This is one of the worst ideas that SunSoft could have put in the game. It is not very fun at all to walk around having fun killing some enemies, then suddendly being put in a house with a maze that seems impossible to beat. It’s like one of them scary movies, in the fact that every way you seem to turn, you run into a dead end! No! It really does get quite frustrating after a while, and this is probably the worst part of the entire game.

Control in the game is average, at best. You have to switch around between items a lot, and to switch between items you have to go to the Pause Screen which could be found by pushing.. the pause button! What a concept! Once you get to the pause screen, you can click on the various logos and see which one you want. After choosing an item, leave your cursor over it and head back to the game. Push the A button and you use the item! Otherwise, the control is not that good, because Fester moves way too slowly for my liking, especially when he is affected. Overall, the control in the game is kind of decent besides the fact that Fester walks way too slowly for my tastes.

Overall, this is one of the most unique games I have ever played, but unique does not always equal good. The biggest problem with this game is the fact that Fester ways very slowly. It really does get quite annoying after a while. It gets to be a severe pain when he is hit by the flies and suddendly walks slower than he did before! Another problem with the game is them damn 3D mazes, I got so sick of them by the end of the game. This is an unique game that isn’t for everyone! I happened to enjoy it a lot, but you may not enjoy it as much as I did. It really is that different of a game. I advise buying it just to see if you like it, since it is a dirt cheap game, as most NES games are nowadays.

===================
Other Important Scores
===================

Replay Value: Medium

This game is fairly unique, therefore it has decent replay value based on that fact alone. The game is kind of fun to play in certain areas, and I used to play this game a lot when I was a child. I still play it every once in a while to this day. I don’t know what it is but this game has this kind of drawing power that sucks me back into it and makes me want to keep on playing it, time after time. However, you may not want to play through the game as much as I did, mainly because this game has a lot of personal meaning to me, as well. Overall, the replay value in the game is quite high, but it might not be as high for you, hence the average rating I gave it.

Challenge: Very Difficult

While I would not put this game quite in the ''extreme'' rating when it comes to challenge, I must admit that this is a rather challenging game. First off, the game is quite long, and without a reasonable save system you are forced to beat the game all at once. And since this is a large game, it may prove to be impossible to ever beat this game. I have beaten this game before, but only once, mainly because some of the 3D mazes in the game are damn near impossible to beat. Overall, this is a very challenging game that will put your gaming skills to the test.

GOOD POINTS
---------------------

-The game is very unique and fun to play.
-The music in the game is catchy and memorable.
-You might want to replay it a lot.

BAD POINTS
-----------------

-This is a very challenging game.
-The graphics in the game are not perfect at all.
-The #$%$#$ 3D mazes!! I am so sick and tired of them!

Nintendo Logic

Yes, this is the first, and quite possibly, only time, I will ever do a Nintendo Logic section. The reason for me doing one for this game is because the basic premise of this game is so weird. The whole story deals with Fester and how he is trying to save the world from aliens. But why would he even want to? I mean, I would have been pretty pissed had I been relaxing on the roof of my house, drinking some lemonade, when suddendly some alien dudes attacked.

Also, what in the hell is wrong with your family in the game? Can’t they give you a little more than a stick of dynamite? ''Oh, Fester, I hope you survive out there with all them aliens running around, oh, here is a light bulb!'' Yeah, I just found 20 of them, you moron! If I was Fester, I would be pissed off with my life. I mean, the poor guy had his vacation screwed up, and then his family betrays him pretty much.

Or maybe I am just reading too much into this…. ^_^.

Overall (5.8/10)