Review by Eddy_Hokkaido

"My personal favorite Final Fantasy game."

INTRO:I'll start off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of the later Final Fantasy games. I guess I'm old school. FFI was awesome, FF2(FFIV) and FF3(FFVI) were cool, but gone was the ability to create your own characters, finally(now this is just my opinion folks) FFVII and FFVIII just aren't that great. I just think their too FMV driven, and way too linear. Now as for the foreign FF's, FFII and FFV I still haven't played much of, but FFIII is my absolute favorite FF game right now, and there's a good reason for it.

Graphics(9) This game came out in Japan back in 1990 I believe and for what its worth they were damn good for back then. Granted character job sprites were similar to the ones that were in FFI, but with added detail, and the new ones looked great too in keeping with the old school SD tradition. The backgrounds were nice, granted battles still took place in what I like to refer to as the great black void, but it was still pretty good for 1990. The overworld and dungeons were great, only a couple steps below FFIV. In fact thats pretty much the way it is with most of the game graphics.

SOUND(10) 8bit music doesn't get much better than this folks, with some simply classic tunes. The sound effects were also great for the day.

CONTROL(10) Its an RPG so pretty much all it has to do control wise is be responsive, which it is. There's really nothing else to say about it.

INNOVATIONS(8) This game added some new things to the FF series and console rpgs in general. The biggest thing was probably just job system. Yeah, FFI truly spawned it, but FFIIIj brought it to a whole new level, in that you could change jobs using capacity points(any available at any time), and of course all the new jobs available in the game. Plus there were other small things like being able to change equipment in battle(essential for bow users), those annoying splitting enemies, and new weapon and magic types. Oh and I almost forgot. I may be wrong, but Chocobo's and Moogles made their debut in this game. As well, as Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva, Bahamut, etc.

CHARACTERS AND STORY(10)The characters in this game were simply awesome. Why? Cause you made them yourself! Yes folks, unlike most Final Fantasy's you need a certain amount of imagination and creativity to play this game. Granted pretty much all you do is name them and select their jobs, but their still your characters, and you have total control of them. Plus with all the jobs in the game you could make some totally kickass groups. Just in case your wondering here are the available jobs: Onionkid(starting job) Fighter, Monk or Blackbelt, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Thief, Archer or Hunter, Scholar, Karateka or Karate Master, Viking, Magic Knight or Paladin(should really be Dark Knight), Taoist or Geomancer, Caller, Bard, Dragoon, Shaman or White Wizard, Warlock or Black Wizard, Summoner, Ninja, and Sage. Yes thats a lot. Granted a few of them...well lets just say theres a few jobs that will make the game a lot harder than it has to be you choose to use them. Still, with all these add a lot of variety to the game. Trust me, you'll
want to play this game again just to mess around with jobs you didn't bother with the first time around. As for the story, its somewhat similar to FFI, but longer and better IMO. NPC's join occasionally, but you don't control them, instead they just tag along. But their always important to the story. One of the NPC's is the FF mainstay Cid, I'm sure you have good idea how he fits in to the game.

OVERALL(10) If you liked FFI and FFV I really don't see why you wouldn't like this game. Diehard Final Fantasy fans must play this game! This game was huge influence on all the rest, and should not be missed.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/00, Updated 11/30/00