Review by The Great Db

"Easily one of the best games in a great series!"

Another big American video gaming blooper. I mean, FFII, FFIII, and FFV never hit the western shores, and III and V are the best numbered games in the series. After the success of FFI, you would think they would have enough sense to import all of them, instead only importing half of the first six and making some poor excuse for a Final Fantasy in FF Mystic Quest. But enough about that, I'm here to talk about Final Fantasy III, one of the greatest games available, albeit the word ''available'' loosely used. Let's begin!

In these old games, I don't measure graphics aren't measured in how good they are, but in how long I can play these games without getting really annoyed. And on that scale, these graphics deserve a 10. They are some of the least frustrating graphics I've seen on one of these old NES games, and the colors are really good, too. So, don't have high expectations, and you won't get disappointed.

The sound is a mix between a Squaresoft game (because that's what it is), and a NES game (because, also that is what it is). Some songs are pretty good, while tend to fluctuate between good and bad, and some songs are just plain annoying. Either way, while the songs aren't that annoying, you won't be rushing for the soundtrack.

The best thing about this game is it is the first installment of an changeable job system. In Final Fantasy I, you had jobs, but you couldn't change them (except for the sizeable upgrade of each job towards the end of the game), and they was only 6. In this game, not only are the jobs also upgraded, but there's more and you can change them to what you want. You can have 4 knights if you are fighting a bunch of easy enemies on the world map and you want quick disposal of them, or, if for some strange reason I'm not going to ask about, you can have 4 black mages for the next fight. It goes for a lot of strategy, and it gives the game some variety.

Fights are standard, but like Final Fantasy V, it's more what you have to do with your characters jobs outside of battle than on the fly battling. Battles aren't as easy as say, Final Fantasy VII, but they're no Tactics Ogre, either. This game has, like you should've known, a lot of random battles, and it involves quite a bit of leveling up and money building.

The plot escapes the non-generic characters we saw in Final Fantasy II, and goes back to the 4-kids-trying-to-save-the-world story. Of course, they are some plot twists and more involved NPC's, but this game is nowhere close to, I don't know, Vagrant Story's story. But, if you play a NES game for the plot that keeps you guessing every time you play it, well, I don't know what you are, but it's not good.

The replay value in this game is low for all except the total die-hards. For me, after beating once, the mere thought of playing it again wearies me for a couple of months. But, then again, a lot of times I play games just to get them on my list of beaten games, so the simple fact I picked this game up again is saying something.

All in all, this game not only pushes the boundaries of what we thought an RPG could be, but it also is a good game. Not all like it, but it gets a lot more positive review than some OTHER FF games (like maybe FFII, VIII, and IX). Personally, I think this game is gold. Not all share this generous opinion, but it is a lot better than most games. That's the problem now days, everyone thinks that just because it is Final Fantasy it is overrated. Well, now, that's not the case, and you should do all you can to get your greedy paws on a copy.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/31/01, Updated 12/31/01