Review by Overlord Hikash

"One of the best Final Fantasy's"

Before I begin, I must emphasis that this is Final Fantasy III, not Final Fantasy VI, for the SNES. Some people still have a hard time understanding that, or they don't want to believe the truth. Either way, this is Final Fantasy III, which was for the NES. It never came to America.

Plot: Okay, I'll admit it. The plot was rather bland. Well, not necessarily bland, but, somewhat unoriginal. It's basically the same one from FFI. Your the light warriors. You beat evil. Everyone lives happily ever after. Even though it wasn't original, it was still good. There was a twist here or there. Not many, but not too few to make the game bad.

Graphics: It's the NES, people. We need not emphasis on graphics. Remember, it IS an 8-bit system. Despite that, the character sprites were actually pretty good, especially the Dragoon and the Mknight. The enemies were very very cool from time to time too. You didn't fight the classic ''wolf'' or ''imp''. It was very original here, letting you see some very well done creatures.

Gameplay: The meat of any game, in my opinion. What's a flashy game without good gameplay? FFVIII, that's what it is. *aherm* Anyways, it has your standard FFI battle system. The four characters on the left side, and the monsters on the right side, although this time your 4 characters aren't separated from the monsters by a big white border. The spellcasting was pretty neat looking. A bit more original than FFI. The status screen was FFI-esque as well, but with a few more options, such as Job. This game operated on a Job system, much like FFV. FFV got the job idea from FFIII, in all actuality.

Innovative: Ok, this really isn't a standard GameFAQs review category, but, I'm throwing it here to describe the job system. Every battle you got in gained you jp (job points), which, after unlocking the job from the crystals, allowed you the change classes. After you gained enough skill points with a certain class (kinda like levels, but they are gained far quicker), the class would then take no job points for that character to go to.

Audio: The audio was actually quite grabbing, for what it was. Dungeon music wasn't always the same, like alot of games, and the overworld theme was moderately catchy. You wouldn't really get tired of the music...at least I didnt.

Replayability: This is where the game takes the cake. It's ultimately replayable, in my opinon. There are a ton of classes, so, you can play the game in many different ways. 4 spellcasters, no magic at all, a hoard of summoners, or, if you REALLY want to try your luck, 4 bards. I had a separate save slightly before the last boss just so I could play around a bit more (okay, alot more). All in all, it's very replayable.

Buy/Rent: Well, if you knew Japanese, go ahead and get the game. You can't get an English copy though. They were never made, sadly enough.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/06/03, Updated 01/06/03