Review by Yojimbo59

"A most admirable RPG"

Final Fantasy III is a spectacular RPG that never made it to U.S. Shores. The reason? They thought Final Fantasy would not ''catch on'' in America as it had in Japan. Look at us now. Every gamer worth his salt owns a FF game, but ''New Schoolers'' probably never got the chance to play something like this.

Game play
The most notable part of Final Fantasy III is the impressive Job system. Just like the classes in FF1, (they were mysteriously absent in FF2j) every Job has weaknesses and strengths. But instead of choosing one class for each character and sticking with it for the whole game, all characters start out as Onion Kids. You gain ''Capacity'' which you can cash in for a different job (gamers who have played Final Fantasy Tactics, or FFV have a taste for how it works). Many classes were introduced here, unfortunately, many did not continue in the FF series. Favorites such as Fighter, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Thief (all with snazzy new sprites)return, while (without going into to much detail) classes such as Hunters, Geomancers, Scholars, and Vikings make their first appearance. Collecting weapons and armor for your different types of heroes makes for a fun little diversion. Geomancers use bells, scholars use books, and so on.
Final Fantasy III has revolutionized the series by introducing Moogles, Chocobo's and Summons. It's great to see the series roots for yourself as you summon Ifrit for the first time in 8-bit. A little tidbit of information: Cid was first introduced in FF2j, but made an appearance in 3, as well.
Like most RPG's control is simple and easy use. Move your character around, scroll through options, choose, then execute. Fun and simple, isn't it? The only problem about moving is the agonizing slow pace. You can quickly put up with this, once you get into the game.
The thing that makes FF3j a great game, is that it's just so interesting. In particular, the many dungeons and castles you are forced to explore, the bosses you have to fight, and the land you have to travel. And the kicker is, it's actually fun. With the help of NPC's, who follow you around and give you advice, doing these tasks are enjoyable. Plus you pilot...how many airships? At least four. I'm gonna have to get back to you on that.
9/10

Story

Contrary to popular belief, not all NES storylines are terrible. Final Fantasy III boasts the most inventive story of that time. A bunch of Orphans adopted by a priest, stumble across a crystal. They receive power, and the responsibility to seek out the other crystals. The story unfolds as the ''new'' Light Warriors arise. What makes this story so great? The background and mythology to it all. There is a story for the Dark Warriors, summoning, moogles, and the like. It just made everything believable. Hilarious dialogue bits like ''We fell in a pit. Shucks.'' only adds to the overall entertainment.
8/10

Graphics/Sound

We've covered story and game mechanics, but how does it look? Exquisite. Colorful tiles, detailed sprites,making that cute lil Chocobo worth summoning. I must say, that I was impressed how well the game looks compared to other NES games. Character design is also another point worth mentioning. You got to love the way a Geomancer looks. And the enemies look detailed and actually intimidating. The music in this game was done surprisingly well. It never really got old, due to the fact that the music changes for each location.9/10

Recommendation

I hope that any RPGer will give this one a shot. It's definitely worth it, if not only for the chubby little Geomancer. See, now I got you interested. I suggest that you find it some where, grab a soda, and sit down for a few hours leveling up.

Final Word
Superb graphics, ace sound, intriguing story with wonderful script, and a complicated class system that was to appear later in future releases of the game... I'd say you got yourself a winner. 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/15/03, Updated 06/15/03