Review by Blackjack4x

"Very early hockey game.........average"

Ice Hockey is a very, very early NES game. It seems to be Nintendo's version of their early baseball game, titled Baseball. The game was not really good by any means. There is a one or two player option, or you can play the computer. The teams to choose from include USA, Sweden, Poland, Canada, Russia and "TCH" (I don't know the country). There are three categories of players: thin, fast guys, average guys and fat, slow guys. You get to choose how many of each type of player make up your team. Periods lengths can be 7, 10 or 15 minutes. The zamboni makes an appearance between periods. As for the premise, simple: put the puck in your opponents net more times than they do to yours.

Your stereotypical 1988 NES graphics. They look much like the type of graphics in Baseball, another early NES game. The ice surface is plain, the players are all clones of one of the three types and have no names. The crowd is generic, but I still kinda liked the zamboni coming out between periods; nice touch for an early game.

Very basic, early NES-like. It's not really music, it's more like many sounds being produced in succession. Believe me, you won't remember the sound for long. Having said that, it is on par with the standards of the time (which obviously weren't very high).

A tough game to win. The nets seem to be huge, and your goalie small. Stealing the puck is hard, and the CPU goalie can be sharp. The only way to get good is practice. The limited options add some value, and the two player option means you can play an equally inexperienced friend and neither of you will have an advantage.

Replay: 5/10

With a friend, some longevity is added, but without, not much. Either way, the only way you'll be playing this game again is for laughs or else you want to relive some old school NES.

This game was really too old to recieve a high rating, given its rudimentary graphics and sound. If you do have an old NES though, and are looking to collect old classics, take a look at Ice Hockey, because as humble as it is, maybe it paved the way for hockey games we see today.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99