Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of the most enjoyable and unique games I have ever played"

Introduction

I have played a lot of good NES games over the years. Some have been good, some have been great, but few have been truly great in my opinion. Kirby’s Adventure was one of those games that went the extra mile and delivered a great gaming experience. As a matter of fact, when I first played the game it was my favorite game. It still is one of my favorites, due to the outstanding and unique gameplay the game offered.

It definitely is one of the greatest games ever made. Rather, it definitely is one of my favorite games ever. The game just had that unique gameplay that I love. Unlike most side scrolling games, this game never gets boring or tiring. This is because this game is a lot unlike other side scrolling games of its nature. Because instead of fighting enemies with swords, you instead have the power to suck them in and steal their powers! Cool, eh?

Graphics (9.3/10)

Okay, so the graphics in this game are very childish. Still, that sometimes isn’t always a bad thing. The character and enemy designs in the game are very good, and the backgrounds are very colorful and unique. Outstanding, simply outstanding. I also like the boss designs in the game, as well as the world map/stage select screens in the game. The game may seem very kiddy and childish at first, but the graphics have this certain look to them but I can’t help but be a fan of.

Character and enemy designs in the game are simply wonderful. First off, the main character in the game, Kirby, is unlike any main character ever. He is basically a pink powderpuff. Yes, that pretty much describes him. I can’t really explain him too much better than that. Then there are the enemies. The enemy designs in the game are very creative, to say the least. I also like the variety of enemy designs in the game. For instance, in one area, you have UFOs. In another area, there are enemies like witches and trees. The boss designs in the game are great, as well, and are varied. The main boss is very interesting, as he has a black face (almost mask-like) and wears a red and white cape. Overall, the enemy and character designs in the game are great.

Overall, the graphics in the game are great. They have a great look to them, as everything is very colorful. This tends to have a kiddy and childish look, but I really did not mind too much. The character designs in the game are nice, especially the main character, Kirby. The enemy designs are great and well varied. And the boss designs are some of the best I have ever seen in a video game, even if the main boss could have been designed just a tad better, in my opinion.

Music/Sound (9.2/10)

The music and sound effects are just as wonderful as the outstanding graphics. Again, they do seem kind of childish in a way, but the music has a certain beat to it that I can not help but love. The sound effects are wonderful as well, ranging from the sound the air makes when Kirby opens his mouth to the sound made when Kirby takes an enemies special power. Great music and Great sound effects.

Music in the game is wonderful and very unique. The first thing you will notice about the music in the game is, like the graphics, they sound very childish and kiddy. But, regardless of their childish nature, the music in the game is still fantastic. The two themes that I feel are the best are the music that first plays when you start the game, and the boss theme. But all of the stages feature great music, I like how they use one theme for every world, and play the same theme in every stage in the particular world. Mainly because it really never gets to be too annoying. Overall, the music in the game is great.

Sound effect wise, the sound effects in the game are great, as well. The main sound effect I enjoyed was the sound of Kirby sucking up air. It never really got annoying after a while, which is always a good sign. Some of the other great sound effects range from the sounds of wheels spinning to the sound that occurs when Kirby dies. There is also a sound effect that registers when the boss meter is filled up, and every time you or an enemy gets hit, a nice little sound effect plays. Overall, the sound effects in the game are great.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are great. The music may seem childish at first, but it never really gets annoying. I also like how they have nine different themes, and play the same world theme through each stage featured in that particular world. The sound effects are great, as well, as they never really got annoying as I would have expected them to.

Gameplay/Control (9.6/10)

This gameplay never gets old on me. The game featured some of the most unique gameplay ever seen. The game is mostly a side scroller, but the addition of Kirby being able to take his enemy’s special powers is also great. This is definitely fun. There is also a variety of stages and bosses in the game. I especially enjoyed some of the mini bosses in the game. For instance, in one of the later stages in the game, you go up against an out of control tire. To defeat this enemy, you have to avoid it until it shoots out a small tire, suck up this tire, and spit the star out at it.

The most unique innovation to this game, in my opinion, is the fact that Kirby can now use a special power that allows him to take an enemy’s power. The way Kirby flies is by gasping up air and then turning into a blimp-like character. In order to steal an enemy’s power, he can suck them up. He can do one of two this once he has the enemy secured in his stomach. One, you can push down and take the enemy’s special power. Or, two, you can turn the enemy into a star by not pushing down and spitting him at an enemy, therefore using the acquired enemy as a weapon.

I also like the variety of stages in the game, as well. There are a lot of unique stage designs in the game. A cool thing about the game, in my opinion, is the fact that there are a lot of mini games in each of the worlds. These mini games range from picking one of two enemy special powers to trying to snag a Kirby balloon from a machine. The coolest mini game in the game, in my opinion, is the one where this guy shoots out things at you, and you have to eat the eggs while closing your mouth when he shoots out bombs. It gets quite frantic, after a while.

Overall, this game is fantastic. The control is perfect and you will never really have any problems with the control. The game is just fun to play, especially with all of the various mini games included. The stage designs are wonderful, and the boss designs are clever and unique (got to love that spinning tire mini boss). The addition of the ability for your main characters to take enemy powers is a nice addition, in my opinion. Add to this, the great music, sound effects, and graphics, and you have one hell of a good game. The game may seem childish at first, but it really is a great game. I really enjoyed playing this game, and I am sure you will enjoy it too. One of the best NES games I have ever played!! The unique gameplay and the special graphics and sound effects lend itself well and combine to make one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

===================
Other Important Scores
===================

Replay Value: High

Kirby’s Adventure is definitely a game with high replay value, in my opinion. First off, the game never really gets annoying, so you will not want to stop playing the game because it is annoying. Secondly, the game is pretty long, as it features well over 50 stages. Also, the addictive mini games are classic, and the mini games have a lot of replay value by themselves. There are also secrets involved in the game, as you can open up secret paths, etc. in the game. Overall, the replay value in the game is great.

Challenge: Medium

You would think for a game with such a childish premise, that it would be a game so suited for children that it would be so easy. Well, as it turns out, the game really isn’t that easy. It can be quite challenging after a while. The main point to this is the fact that this game is so huge, with nine worlds and over 50 stages. Some of the bosses could get to be quite tough after a while, as well. Even the mini games can prove to be challenging after a while, too, especially the bomb eating contest. Overall, this may not be the most challenging game ever but it is a decent challenge for sure.

GOOD POINTS
--------------------

-The mini games are plain old addictive.
-The graphics and music may seem childish at first, but they soon grow on you.
-The ability for Kirby, your main character, to take enemy powers, is a wonderful idea.

BAD POINTS
-----------------

-For a game with over fifty stages, I would have liked to see a tad more difficulty.
-The control can prove to be confusing for little kids, as you have to hold down the A button to fly.
-Some people can get to be a little annoyed by the childish nature of the game.

Overall (9.7/10)

One of the best NES games I have ever played!! The unique gameplay and the special graphics and sound effects lend itself well and combine to make one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Overall, this game is fantastic. The control is perfect and you will never really have any problems with the control. The game is just fun to play, especially with all of the various mini games included. The stage designs are wonderful, and the boss designs are clever and unique (got to love that spinning tire mini boss).

The game may seem childish at first, but it really is a great game. I really enjoyed playing this game, and I am sure you will enjoy it too. The addition of the ability for your main characters to take enemy powers is a nice addition, in my opinion. Add to this, the great music, sound effects, and graphics, and you have one hell of a good game. Overall, I am just a huge fan of the Kirby series in general, and this is my favorite one out of all of them.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/03/00, Updated 07/16/01