Review by Vegita

"The final Mega Man game for the Nintendo, and not a moment too soon!"

Ranking:

Group Enjoyment: 4/10
Individual Enjoyment: 7/10
Challenge: 9/10
Ending: 5/10

Mega Man 6. There's really nothing I can say at this point, except that Mega Man is back, Dr. Wily is back, another set of 8 robots is here, and so are Rush and Fliptop. Hooray for them! So, does this game end the Nintendo series of Mega Man games on a high note, or does it drop the average, making you wish there had been SOMETHING different to keep the game from going stale?

Good Points:
Ok, this one is just there. It's a Mega Man game, so it's got good play control and variety in Bosses. Sort of, if you consider 8 different robots and the same Dr. Wily (Always doing the eyebrow thing) every time.

Bad Points:
This is the sixth Mega Man game. That's not really a bad point, but I think they should have done something special with this one...like being able to aim when you shoot, or perhaps even make it an RPG!

General Ratings:

Graphics: The best of the series. It would have gotten a higher score, but too many parts of the game haven't changed. They could have animated Mega Man better (made LOTS more frames per step), or maybe they could have put more detail into him. But let's face it, it's the same ol' guy, taking on the same ol' guy, using the same ol' weapons.

Sound: It's just about average, because that's how the sounds are. If they'd used the same sounds from previous games, it'd be below average, but they DID invent some new ones. Other than that, it's all the same at this point.

Music: The music, which is usually awesome and fun to listen to, has dropped sharply through the past couple of games. It's still good, but you can see the composer is getting tired of the 8-bit system's lack of multi-track music systems. Having only 3 tracks is VERY difficult to work with, and here's why: imagine your favorite classical piece of music, say the “1812 Overture”. That part at the end, with the cannons, drums, brass, strings, etc. is VERY energetic and moving, right? Now, imagine if you could only pick 3 instruments out of the ENTIRE orchestra to work with. You'd be stuck with, say, the trumpets and their melody, the cannons, and the strings. You'd be missing SO much, you'd lose the actual song, and it wouldn't be fun to listen to any more. Sorry, but I just wanted to expound on this point.

Originality: Same template. The only changes in this one were enemies, bosses, stages, the readout of each boss as you enter their stage, and the fact that half of the initial 8 bosses have fake clones? Geez, it's bad enough we have to wade through those stages, but now we have to try to figure out which one is the real one? Thanks, guys…

Play Control: Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a perfect score! The control is the only nice thing about this game! Get over it!

Enjoyment: People might want to stick around and see if you find the right boss or not, or try to help you figure out which weapon will work on which boss. Other than that, the group factor isn't very high at all.

Challenge: The fact that you have to figure out which boss will be easy enough to take on, and then figure out which weapon would work best on them, and THEN figure out if you're even fighting the real one or the fake one…all this just makes me irritable. When I said I wanted to see something new, I didn't mean I wanted to see the color “Red” everywhere. I wanted to see something new in the GAMEPLAY.

Ending: Ho hum. By the time this came out for the Nintendo, we'd already seen much better in the way of endings. Sorry, folks, but I'd take Ninja Gaiden 1-3 any day over this ending!

Overall:

You can guess what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyways: get a new set of programmers! At this point, the ones that were making the game were too tired to come up with anything new and useful, and just started doing things that were not only pretty unoriginal, but also downright frustrating! Well, here's hoping there's better ones coming in the future…

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/00, Updated 04/10/00