Review by Psycho Penguin

"A very fun and interesting game"

My sister does not play many video games, so when she plays one you know its gotta be something special. Paperboy was one of these games. Not only did she play the game, she used to kick me off the Nintendo Entertainment System just to play it (well, not really, but she did ask me if she could play it). She seemed to enjoy Paperboy 2 more (mainly because of the papergirl... what discrimination! ^_^) but I preferred the original Paperboy more. I don't know why I like the original more than the sequel, but I just do. Anyways, on with my review!

Graphics (8.3/10)
The graphics in Paperboy for the Nintendo Entertainment System were very well done. First off, the character design was pretty good, as the paperboy looked just like a real paperboy would. Secondly, the backgrounds as you ride around the town look great, as the animation is very nice. There are a lot of colors, but not as much as I would have liked. Regardless, the whole look of the game is great. Overall, Paperboy for the Nintendo Entertainment System has nice graphics.

Music/Sound (9.2/10)
Classic music right here. The theme that plays while you ride around the town is great (Im actually sitting here listening to it in my head as we speak). Who cares if it plays over and over again? If the music is good, then it really isn't a problem, because it won't get annoying after a few minutes. Sound effect wise, Paperboy is good as well, because when you aim a newspaper and throw it in the mailbox certain sound is made that is different from the sound that is made if you missed your target. Overall, Paperboy for the Nintendo Entertainment System has great music and very well done sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (9.2/10)
Paperboy is one of the most unique games ever made, in my opinion. The basic goal of the game is really quite simple: you're a Paperboy, and you have to deliver papers to the subscribers (white houses). But if you dont delive it to a subscriber, they get mad and cancel their subscription. Oh yeah, did I mention that you have to avoid such baddies as tornadoes, grim reapers, and potholes? And that you can throw papers at old geezers and knock them off their rocker? Also, you get more points depending if you throw the newspaper in the mailbox or if you don't. Overall, paperboy has great gameplay.

Replay Value
High

Challenge
Medium

Overall (9.3/10)
Very fun and unique game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/00, Updated 07/16/01