Review by Psycho Penguin

"How did they ruin this series so easily?"

The original Paperboy will go down in history as one of my favorite games to play. The great and innovative gameplay led to a game that was both fun to play, and inexpensive. So, when I splurged out FuncoLand a few years back, I made sure to buy a copy of the sequel to Paperboy, called (gasp) Paperboy 2! (what originality, eh ^_^) And, of course, due to my enjoying the first game, I expected a lot out of the game. Too bad the game did not live up to my expectations, because the series would have probably continues for much longer than it did had it not been for this lackluster attempt at a sequel.

Graphics (9.2/10)
Okay, Ill give the devil its due: the graphics in Paperboy 2 are much better than the graphics in the original Paperboy. First off, the paperboy (and papergirl) look much better than in the first game. Secondly, there is much more variety in the game. The enemies and other obstacles look much better, and there is much more variety to them. Overall, great graphics.

Music/Sound (9.1/10)
Again, the music is pretty good. Unfortuantely, I still prefer the classic music featured in the first game (another one of those ''if i remember the music in an old nes game it must be good music'' type thing). Oh well, the music in Paperboy 2 is still pretty good. Sound effect wise, Paperboy 2 has all of the sounds that are too be expected, ranging from screeching tires to smashing windows. Overall, good music and sound effects, although I prefer the music of the original.

Gameplay/Control (4.8/10)
This is where Paperboy 2 falls apart. I don't know what it is, but I just did not have that fun of a time playing through this game. Even though it is a lot like the original at heart, it just isn't as fun to play, in my opinion. On the plus side, there are more enemies and obstacles than ever. Also, they added a Papergirl to the game, completely neglecting the name of the series ^_^. Overall, not what I expected.

Replay Value
Medium

Challenge
Medium

Overall (4.9/10)
Its really a shame, too.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 04/21/00, Updated 07/16/01