Review by Rick L

"I think I have a stain on my pants..."

This has to be one of the three best games on the NES hands down. The story is excellent, the play control is simple, and everything is done SO well!

Normally, I don't consider graphics to be an important factor in a game, but in a game like this, you really do need to have good graphics. Everything is detailed and well done. I've never seen such detail in an NES game!! I must agree that the close-up of the ghost lady in the hall is one of the creepiest images in video game history. I also love the eyes of the servant ghost. God, I wish my eyes were red like that....

The animation is alright. Nothing to write home about, but it's used a lot more in this game than in the previous two like it (Shadowgate and Déjà Vu).

Sound: 9.5/10

The music is hands down awesome. Whether it's the creepy music that plays in some of the places, the danger music, the death music, etc. There are also some non-creepy tunes. My favorite one has to be when the little creature thingy goes by. That's some good party music! Now go dance! (Now stop dancin', because you're embarrasin' me!) To sum it up, the music fits the place you're in, except for in the ground floor part of the house, which doesn't exactly feel like it fits. That's the only reason why I had to take a half a point off.

Simple. Point and click. Boring, right? Nah! Do the wrong thing and you get a neat little description of how you get to join the other spirits of the house! The game has less fun things to do than Shadowgate. (In that game you can do lots of things!) The control may be a little aggrivating for those that are impatient, because, for example, to open a door, you have to click the ''Open'' box, then click on the door. The control is also slow paced, too. So for those of you that just like to blaze through something in ten minutes, this won't be the game for you. Another great thing about this game is that it forces you to use your brain, rather than sharp wits or reflexes. I will admit that some of the puzzles are rather bizarre, though.

Replay Value: 3/10

This is the only part of the game that there's something wrong with. It's always the same every time you play it. But it's one of those games that you might pick up every once in a while just for old time's sake.

This has to be one of the best games for NES that you're not playing. This is a definite classic, but it seems that the rarity of this game just made it too difficult for people to learn of. If you like games where you have to use your mind, and are somewhat slow paced, then by all means, GET THIS GAME!! In fact, everyone should be playing this. So....GET THIS GAME!!!

This is The Rick, tellin' you to go play!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/02, Updated 01/22/02