Review by Alucard517

"The beginning of the greatness"

The beginning to a great series in later years. A must have game for the almighty NES system. If you like Castlevania then you should know where it all started, right here in this game. One of the best side scrolling action games for the NES, who couldn't want this game. If you have not played this game then I highly suggest you go out and play this, and if you keep reading on I will tell you why this game is so damn good. If you don't like this game you shall be glowered at by many. And if you do like the game than you shall join the many who will love you for your great choice in games. Either way you need to play this game, so I better be hearing people talk about buying this game or at least trying to play it and beat it, a hard game at that too. So hopefully you have the patience, and the time to beat this wonderful game. Now onto the pulchritude review.

Graphics 7

For the time of the 80's this game did a good job. The setting is very tenebrous, dark and mysterious. The enemies are kind of funny looking some times but it shouldn't be too surprising I mean come on it is a Nintendo game. The boss battles are always fun. Each boss has their own sole move that will grab you attention, not only by the graphics but because when the move hits you it can be quite exasperating. What can be better than the main character, who has a brown outfit and his lovely whip of his. Each enemy you can tell is different which is good instead of having the same enemies throughout the game and just having different colored graphics. Either way Konami did well and you know it, so don't argue.

Game play 10

The best and hardest feature of the whole game. This game may be fun, but when you get to later stages it can be very annoying. In such a way with the fleamen, they are not cool at all, bouncing around trying to kill you. It can be very hard at times, but I know you can do it. There are a lot of hidden items in the levels to that can help you get to a higher score for the game. Another great feature is when you beat it you can go through it again and keep raising you score. Its almost like a new game +, except you kind of don't have an option whether or not it does it. One thing that will save your life is the upgrades of the whip. You can find certain level ups for your whip to make it easier to kill monsters, and trust me with some of the ones you fight, if you don't have the whip upgraded, you are in for some trouble. If you are on low health do not fear for the turkey is here. Certain walls can be knocked down by the simple press of a button. A lot of the walls will contain secrets, or throw able items, but some spots you get lucky and find the turkey to heal you by a bunch. The throwing items, or secondary weapons what you will, can also help you in desperate situations. Like the axe has helped me many times when a fleaman has tried to jump on me, I threw that axe and killed him right away. See now aren't secondary weapons useful.

Sound 8
Even for how old this game may be, it still has some of the best songs ever on this little cartridge. There are certain levels where I will stay where an enemy wont attack me and just let the music role. That is how much I like it. As annoying the enemies may seem, it is less annoying knowing they don't make noises. So now if you hate a monster if you hear a certain noise you wont be reminded of those hectors. But the main sound that is important is the music like I said earlier. They really did a great job at working on this one.

Story 4
The downfall of the game. There is no real story, you are in a castle wanting to kill Dracula like your predecessors before you. That is the one and only role in the Belmont family. Either way all you do is go there to rid the world of Dracula and fight some bosses in between finding him and searching the castle. Not much to it, either way it will advance as you go on with the Castlevania series and find out what exactly is going on here. Even though there isnt much to the story it doesnt mean that it cant be a good game, because this game definitely shows you that with no story you can succeed.

Graphics 7
Game play 10
Sound 8
Story 4

Overall Rating 8

This is a must have game, so if you are into the series and you have not played this game then you are crazy. This is where it all began, should be where you start the series, but who knows maybe you caught on around Symphony of the Night, great game too, I suggest you play the whole series it is well worth your time. So go out and become a vampire killer too! You shall enjoy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/27/04