Review by odino

"Top Rider??"

The AI is incredibly easy to beat. In every Grandprix race you can fall off the bike several times and still make it first to the finish line around thirty seconds ahead. Some tracks can be very long, however, and the endurance will push you more than any racer out there.

Crashes are too simple, and the opponents do not seem to be affected by it as much as you are. They are just a few sprites on the track, they don't care whether you are coming up behind them or are in your racing line, they will pull over and take you down with no avail. Too bad you are basically outnumbered 20 to 1, but then again it could be even more as there are always one or two opponents on-screen. Perhaps the game only shows us the top 20 results. Who is to know by this non-existing starting line-up.

The camera forces you to stay close to the track, not very realistic. At least when you are way off the track I would expect to be taken down and not by the next pole or sign.

Cheesy backgrounds that move around. Simply graphics, but adequate. I believe the tracks are accurate to the real races, though you hardly notice it during the race itself as there is not much sense of direction.

What's up with the fuel display? It's only there for realism if you ask me. But everyone can tell you that taking a full tank of fuel on a 2-3 lap course is nothing close to realism. Why not show us the race position instead? It seems that nobody of the other racers is actually racing against you at the time of your drive. In other words, race time alone determines the winners of the points.

And the other racers only have two different colors, white and green. Even 8-bit consoles can do better than.

Neat tunes for the menus and at least no music during the race. The rev sound is also acceptable which could easily be annoying with these old games. Every time you pass an opponent there is a 'swoosh' sound which is a nice touch.

Touring is very boring and the Grandprix can only be started from the Road one. After a few times through you won't touch this again. There is also now 2-player mode which could have been a lot more fun. After the 9 race championship there isn't much else to do but try for better times.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/08/06