Review by SNESster3

"While it doen't live up to the NES's capabilities, I like it!"

Galaga is an arcade game that most of us have heard of. You probably remember the days when Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Spy Hunter and Joust were around. Along with these classics was Galaga, and it was so good it was ported to a number of systems and had many INFERIOR sequels and remakes. This Galaga port for the NES is the greatest of them all, especially if you have a U-Force and a U-Force Flight Stick.
I give it a 5 because the story is not really shown. From what I'm guessing, alien invaders are coming to destroy mankind. Wow. So 1980's, don't you think? Nothing new here. It falls in line with Space Invaders and Xevious.
Very very fun! You must blast your way through an array of aliens. But unlike say Xevious or Sinistar, you only move forward each time you destroy a set of aliens. What's amazing about this game is how the aliens fly in in perfect formation each level! Every couple of levels, you play a Challenging Stage. The Challenging Stage is where alien ships fly in using fancy formations and you must blow up as many as you can before the formation leaves. In this part especially you are better off using a turbo controller like the U-Force or NES Max. Also, there are a few secrets to power up. If I told you, that would be a spoiler. Sorry, this is a review, not a FAQ.
Decent for NES. The graphics are almost IDENTICAL to the original, with the exception of some modification (richer colors, etc.). They are a little below the NES's capabilities as I said. Not much here to say.
The sounds are very well made. When you shoot, it sounds like a real cartoonish laser beam. When enemies are destroyed, the sound is clear. Also not much to say except that it is good.
Music: 8/10
The only music is between levels and when you get that secret power up I mentioned. It's pretty catchy, too. Worthy of paying attention to.
Replayability: 9/10
It rarely gets boring, and if it does, pick up a U-Force or other special controller. That will help expand the game and bring it back up in replay value.
Buy? Rent? Hockey puck?
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY THIS GAME! While it doesn't live up to the full capability of the NES, Galaga is an awesome shooter. This game is pretty hard to find, though. You'll have to look far and wide.
Very very good game. Go and get it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/25/04