Review by M0urningStar

"Oh, the monotony!"

Oh the monotony!

The year (obviously) is 1942. The world is heavy into the Second World War, and you are a fighter pilot. Apparently, the allied powers expect you to save the world from the enemy single-handedly, in your tiny little 2-engine plane.

The game is basically a Galaga-wanabe in the air instead of in space. Repetitive scenery, including deserts, forests, and seas, make up the 32 barely different missions. Enemy planes bombard you, entire fleets sent out just to destroy your single plane. The best thing about this game is it’s strangely addictive and will help to pass the time.

GRAPHICS:

This game definitely only utilizes the bare minimum capabilities of the NES, especially in terms of graphics. The early platformer performs extremely low. The repetitive backgrounds move along painfully slow as simple sprite airplanes attack your plain white plane. The utter lack of detail is agonizing. Oh, sure, at least you see a few clouds or an island maybe here or there, but other than that the only thing breaking up the monotony are simple boss planes, which are extremely badly drawn themselves.

2/10 – Hey, it’s still better than SOME games (none come to mind right away, though, :) hehe).

SOUND:

Gag me with a pitchfork! This game had worse sound than Rampart!!! The puny loops played during the levels will drive you insane, if you can even hear them over the fire of your plane’s gun, which sounds just like the ‘drums’ in the music. As I partially just pointed out, the sound effects weren’t exactly to die for either.

3/10

GAMEPLAY/CONTROL:

Although the plane flies pretty slowly, it does match the enemies. I have to say there’s really no problem here. You can fly in all directions, which makes the controls seem smooth, but not slippery. It’s not too hard to take out the utterly simple baddies with your guns, even with the lack of power ups available. The game is fun to a point, but not something I’d spend over a buck to own.

8/10

REPLAY VALUE:

Well, I really don’t know. It’s one of those games you just pick up every once in a while just to try out again. But whenever I get done, I remember why I put it away. The game can be addictive, but after a while, the monotony gets to you. As I said above, it’s fun to a point, but not really worth owning in terms of how much you’ll play it after the first time.

5/10

OVERALL: 4/10

I have to say it was a disappointment, most games like this are great, but the lack of good sound and graphics that usually won’t mark an NES game really damaged this one. It only scratched the surface of what it could’ve been with the NES’s capabilities.

Reviewer's Rating:   2.5 - Playable

Originally Posted: 03/28/01, Updated 03/28/01

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.