Review by Geo

"I think I'm going insane."

I am not an action gamer. Never have been, never will be. I've played through countless dozens of RPGs, but the number of action games I've completed--I can probably count 'em on the fingers of both hands. Well, maybe not quite--not it isn't many. I first played Adventure Island many moons ago on a friend's NES. Cool, thought I. Nifty graphics and a fairly groovy setting. Fast forward many moons, and I find myself finally having an internet connection. I learn about emulation, and, although it wasn't the first or second or third or fourth--or probably even twelfth, for that matter--eventually, I thought, ''hey! I can play Adventure Island again!'' So I found a copy and started playing. Naturally, the graphics weren't all I remembered them as, but once I'd been playing for awhile I realized that they had a certain charm to them. Nice, bright, contrasting colours is the keyword (well, words) here, and they do their job well indeed. I notice that most contemporary ''action'' games (if the genre even still exists, what with all the permutations thereof) tend to be very dark and gloomy--I don't WANT to be depressed when I'm playing an action game, dammit! I want pretty colours and lots of cartoony enemies to bop! Not that I don't enjoy the Castlevania series (the 2-D ones, natch), but when you play a game like Adventure Island you can just slip into a warm, fuzzy world of green pastures and blue oceans--even the caves are kinda cute, it seems to me. I love it. I'm utterly charmed.

This flargin' game is HARD. Make no mistake about it. Of course, as I said before, I am NOT good at action games, but after several weeks of Island Adventuring, on and off, I've only gotten to 1-4. Yes, I'm pathetic. I don't care. I like it. In a time when I have Really Complicated things to read and write every whichway, there's something VERY appealing about a simple--VERY simple--action game that I can just sit down and play for five or ten minutes. And you know what? I think it's good that Hudson's apparently seen fit to let the franchise die. The last thing we need is a 3-D AI with textured-mapped, polygonal backgrounds. Yech! Keep it basic, I say! Stay with the original, classic gaming, and stand proud as you guide Master Higgins to his repeated death by drowning, burning, snails, and eating insufficient fruit, knowing that you are indeed truly one of the hardcore, and quite possibly clinically insane, too. Punk rawk!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/00, Updated 05/05/00