Review by Psycho Penguin

"A good sequel but not quite what I expected"

Adventure Island 2 is one seriously whacky game that has nothing to do with the first game besides the main hero, Master Higgins, on a quest to rescue his kidnapped girlfriend. So the story is the same but a lot of the game apart from the story has changed. Anyways, the main difference between the first game in the series and the second game in the series is the addition of a world map. Yep, so unlike the first game (where you just kind of magically appeared between stages), you have to travel through eight unique worlds, and you use the map to go from stage to stage. You cannot control your walking on the map, however. This is better than the first game because you won't see the same stage repeated only with harder enemies, etc. So, overall Adventure Island 2 is a very capable game, but it does not fufill my expecations.

Graphics (8.6/10): The graphics in the game are much better than the first game. Even though the scenery is way brighter, and the overall enemies are slower, I still prefer the graphics in the second game to the graphics in the original game. Thankfully there are changing stages so you won't see the same background every few stages (which happened in the first game, by the way)

Music/Sound (8.3/10): The music sound pretty darn cool in the game, with the same beat as the original, but it sounds more childish. But overall it's still great.

Gameplay/Control (7.8/10): The control in this game is about as good as it's going to get for a game which is on a system that features a controller with 2 buttons. The control in this game is resposnsive but there are still those frustrating moments where you swore you pushed a button, but nothing happened. Gameplay is similar to the first game, but there are a few differences. This time, the hero is not alone in hsi quest. By finding special eggs, the hero gains special dinosaur helpers, everything from a fireball spitting walking dino to a pink, flying dino who shoots fireballs out of his mouth. Otherwise though there isnt much new here besides the swimming levels.

Replay Value: High
Challenge: Medium

Overall (8.1/10): Despite the radical improvements, Adventure Island 2 is just not as much fun as the first one. I don't know what it is. I played the first adventure island game for years, but the second one just didn't have as much impact on me. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game. It's just not as good as it could have been.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/00, Updated 07/16/01