Review by MMcPhun

"The most fun ever had with a little blue ball..."

If I explained the premise of this game to you on the street, you'd probably laugh in my face and give me a hearty kick in the ass to send me on my way. No, I can't quite put into words the fun that can be had with this game.

Yeah, admittedly the idea is pretty weak. You're this cute little blue ball that needs to push blocks and collect hearts to advance to the next room. Of course, similarly adorable snakes, dragons, and other mythical creatures are hanging around to ruin your day. This is yet another one of those ''touch an enemy and die'' games, and believe me when I say that it's going to become the bane of your existence.

This wouldn't be such a concern if Lolo was a bad game. Everybody could say, ''Hey, this game blows, so the fact that it's hard as hell is irrelevant'' and go home. Unfortunately, this game is also incredibly addicting, so you get stuck with a level you can't beat but nonetheless feel compelled to spend hours of your time on.

The visual aspect of Lolo, while not a primary consideration, is still pretty boring. There is so little variety in the landscape of this game that you'll swear they made it with Mario Paint. Every room has the same brown and green hues, which will drive you nuts by the time you hit the third floor. The ending offers a surprise, though: scaling on the NES!

Yeah, another thing I feel I need to comment on is the music in this game. Please, for the sake of others in your household, set the volume low or turn the TV to Green Acres or something. The ONE (count em) sixty second loop of music in this game really isn't that bad, but it has this strange way of getting stuck in your head. I think this was some sort of attempt at brainwashing, because every time I hear this music I yell and tend to throw things. Pavlov would be proud of Hal Corporation.

Control isn't really a big thing in puzzle games, but it helps to be well-executed. Lolo's movements are all pretty fluid and seamless, which is something to be thankful for when you're being chased around by an armadillo with a big bow on his head. If you die or get stuck in this game, you can't blame it on bad control.

If you can stomach the insane degree of cute little bugs and other creatures, The Adventures of Lolo can bring back some of the excitement the NES is known for. One thing that really chaps my ass, though... out of every game series to make it to a next-gen console, why was this one overlooked? How can you justify the Olsen twins getting a Game Boy game, but the Lolo series vanishing into oblivion? What's wrong with our society?

If you ever come across this game anywhere, I suggest you remortgage your house and add this baby to your collection. You'll be frustrated and annoyed, but not disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/29/01, Updated 08/29/01