Review by MarkyJoe

"The Adventures Of Lolo Review"

The Adventures Of Lolo, as far as I'm concerned is one of the first games Hal Laboratory ever created. It also has a unique style of the Puzzle genre. To my opinion, this is the best non-arcade-like Puzzle game I have ever played. Now I'm not really into the Puzzle genre as much as my mom but I'll give the review to you in my point of view.

The best feature in any game is always the gameplay. This game isn't like the crappy Push-Push game you may have on your cell phone, however you still push blocks as a vital factor. The gameplay is fantastic. You are Lolo, a spherical, blue creature complete with big eyes and the basic body parts (arms, legs, body). You may think that just by the look of you, you couldn't possibly take on a whole castle and defeat the "Great Devil". However, looks can be deceiving as you have quite a handful of tricks waiting to be pulled off. There are 10 floors with 5 stages in each. How's a blue midget like you supposed to do THAT?! Well, you have the ability to turn certain enemies into eggs (not like you're yoshi or something) and push them anywhere you like as long as the little critter stays in there (which is about 8 seconds).This can be useful due to the fact that you can use this egg to block enemies and solve puzzles. An egg itself works as a temporary movable block. Some enemies CAN NOT be turned into eggs. However, in order to use this strange power, you must first grab a few of them heart blocks which in addition can sometimes give you special items like bridges and hammers.

To clear a stage:
You must grab all the hearts in the stage. You'll see a treasure chest lying somewhere in the stage. When you get all the hearts, this chest opens up. Next, you gotta get the jewel in the chest. Add that up with enemies and you got a stage.

Difficulty: 5/10
This is not the good side of the game. Indeed, some of the stages are very challenging, but it only takes a stroke of the head to put your strategy in action and clear the stage. This is also backed up by the fact that you have unlimited continues and passwords to bring you back to the level you were on yesterday. By the time up you wake up, you'll have an answer bouncing inside your head like a hyperactive chip monk. However, there IS an evil side to this. The enemies are more than a handful for Lolo... especially(cowers in fear) Don Medusa. The enemies themselves consist of harmless snakes, walking blocks, pink dragons, and a few others but THIS and Medusa her self are the ones you REALLY must look out for. I can imagine you on the first few levels and then you notice a pink devil's head walking about. You'll probably get curious and just as you try to egg him, SSHHIEOW!!! he sticks a sword in you at blinding speed. This scares the crap out of me since it can catch you completely off guard. The other enemies can still be a pain, but less off guard-y.

Sound/Music: 10/10
Although Adventures of Lolo has about 5 different songs, they are ridiculously catchy. The sound is also fun to hear (except Medusa and Don Medusa's shoot sound). They don't sound realistic, but it's the fun that counts.

The graphics are awesome. Lolo has a lot of frames. Seriously, the graphics are almost like the first Super Nintendo graphics. On top of that, the stages are very colorful. Don't underestimate the graphics.

Rent or Buy?
Just buy it and like it. It's an old game and no store let's you rent them like they used to.

In conclusion...
Lolo is just about the best puzzle game ever (well, next to it's sequels, Lolo 2 and 3) and is great for the whole family. If you like the old games and happen to hae it in for the precious Puzzle genre, buy this into your collection.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/05